Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 2nd, 2003, 11:33 PM   #1
blk 2k 2.7

Check engine light... serious or emission problem?

My check engine light came on (& stayed on) for the first time tonight. There was no indication of a problem and the car is running fine. Is the check engine light only an indicator of an emissions problem?... or something more seriously wrong with the engine?
Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:54 AM   #2
jaime howell

Re: Check engine light... serious or emission problem?

did you make sure your gas cap is screwed on tight??
Old January 3rd, 2003, 02:33 PM   #3
Clayton in Walnut Creek

solid light is no big deal...blinking light is a big deal. see manual.

This I was told at local service dept. In my case it was either an un sealed gas cap and/or a faulty air/fuel sensor. If it is a trivial thing, like gas cap, it will often go off after 3 or 5 trips. Else, take it to dealer, they will attach their computer, read the error and reset it for you. Then schedule you for work if it is more serious issue.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 03:39 PM   #4
jonathan

Emissions but could be serious

in the long term. Tough to say. If the light starts blinking then you're in a bad spot.

Emissions out of range indicates a few possible problems.

If it's running fine then you are either a little too lean (better fuel economy, worse power) or a little too rich (worse fuel economy, better power).

If it's not running fine then the cause of the too lean or too rich has become an issue, for example, too rich might mean a spark plug not firing at all (resulting in lots of unburned fuel) or a bad injector running wide open (rare), or a whole bank of plugs firing intermittently (bad ignitors or computer, lots of unburned fuel). Too lean might mean a vacuum leak or a bad bypass or purge valve (extra air getting in after the MAF, so it isn't measured and compensated for), or a bad injector putting out too little fuel, or a bad computer or MAF.

Too lean is the more dangerous condition since a lean engine runs hot, sometimes hot enough to burn a hole in a piston, and a lean mixture can also burn out a catalytic. If the mixture is that lean then the CE light will flash.

I'd get it looked at but it's not an emergency.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 04:45 PM   #5
Larry Nakamura (In SJ)

Also, Check to see your coolant level is OK. *NM*

Old January 3rd, 2003, 06:18 PM   #6
Eric in Dallas

Re: Emissions, but check...

gas cap, coolant cap, oil fill cap. Can also be a bad O2 sensor or a fouled mass air flow sensor.

All easy fixes.

GO through several start stop scenarios over 3 or 4 days before letting the dealer have it. It may cycle off on its own.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 07:52 PM   #7
blk 2k 2.7

Thanks everyone... I'll check everything & see how it shakes out. *NM*

Old January 5th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #8
blk 2k 2.7

Checked gas cap, changed air filter, added H20, light still on... off to AB *NM*

Old January 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #9
blk 2k 2.7

CE Light was Mass Air Sensor... thanks all. Also, thumbs up on Cayenne.

They had a Cayenne Turbo out back of AB... SUV or not, I liked it. Photos don't do it justice... but not the Porsche I'd choose for the money. Now the GT in the show room... WOW!
Old January 7th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #10
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: CE Light was Mass Air Sensor... thanks all. Also, thumbs up on Cayenne.

That same vehicle is actually the Picture of the Day today.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman