Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Tomy996

Tubi 987S exhaust

Anyone have any experience with this on a Boxster S or Cayman S? It looks interesting but I wonder about the sound and resonance. I've seen the system and it appears to be of good quality but I would sure hate to see internal baffles come loose or some such so I do wonder about the quality. I appears to be lighter weight, too. I assume it has CARB approval for use in CA?
Tomy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
boxs2000

I would love to see someone give some feedback on the tubi exhaust. I have a friend that had them on his Ferrari and they sounded incredible and also increased performance. They are great quality exhaust and wonder if they have the same signature sound for the Porsche.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Tomy996

987 Tubi

I may have "answered my own question". The local dealer wants $2200 for the Tubi system. Plus tax. Plus installation. I could probably do the install myself but the price for the sound just doesn't make it work for me. I figured more than $1000 but not THAT much more!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
boxs2000

ouch! that is pricey for 5-10 hp gain if that??? over the weekend we installed a billyboat exhaust for my cousins 986 and it sounds awesome. Definately much louder than my Dansk but dont know how much hp gains it gave him...per his butt dyno, he said he could feel it. Sound great though : )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Snaxster

Hi, Tomy996. I didn't see your post until today.

I'm not sure if it's ok to link to a "competing" 987 site, but you can read this thread for some of my and others' impressions of the Tubi Style catback exhaust unit on a Cayman S.

As for the price, yes you're paying for the Tubi name and aura as well as for the supposed quality.

Snaxster
Snaxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Tomy996

Tubi Style

An interesting thread, Snaxster. Read all four pages of it! Did you ever get a sound bite made? I have heard one on another site and it's really very good from behind. Like you, I did not look at the Tubi as a HP gainer. More for the sound although the 987S has probably more sound stock than the 986S only because of regulation changes. A guy following along behind me on a tour said he loved the sound of my stock 987S. Apparently, noticeably different from the 986.
Anyway, I guess I'm still thinking about doing the Tubi. Not sure I want to be the first on this one though. As a long time (25 yrs.) Austin-Healey 3000 owner, I can tell you that any resonance you are experiencing is probably negligible! I would also think the resonance would be less noticeable in a convertible. It was in my Healey. I had a factory hardtop and it was like having two different cars with top on or off when it came to the exhaust sound. It really boomed inside the car with the top on. The 987 IS a sportscar and that's part of what it's all about. Especially if you don't drive it every day!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Snaxster

Wow, you read the whole thing. Good for you, though — I think that's the most detailed account published yet.

I did make a little in-cabin video with my digital still camera, to capture the exhaust sound, but the camera applies too much audio compression, so I'm looking for a better recorder. (I may spring for a dedicated audio recorder or camcorder and a decent external stereo microphone.)

You may wait a while if you don't want to be the first to install a Tubi Style exhaust on a 987 Boxster. Tubi doesn't even pretend to compete on price in N. America, so all other things being equal there's a big opportunity for other makes that have a much lower retail price. I think this is one reason most early adopters in N. America are opting for Fabspeed, A.W.E., Milltek, etc. on their 987 variants (according to accounts given online, anyway.)

For what it's worth, the guy from whom I bought my Tubi and installation walks the talk. He runs a Tubi exhaust on his 911. He opined to me that we should be glad Tubi consented to provide solutions for modern P-cars, given their history of supporting Ferrari and Lambo.

I've never ridden in an Austin-Healey, but I think I get the idea. I have ridden in or driven behind a friend's classic cars (Lotus, Fiat, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, etc.) If that's your benchmark for acceptable sonic performance in the cabin, you'll find the Tubi to be positively civilized! My Cayman S is a daily driver, of course, so I continue to scrutinize the new exhaust sound.

I say that if you're loaded or feeling saucey, just try out the Tubi. You can always revert to stock. Let us know if you do try it.

Snaxster
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Snaxster

Hi again. I found this nice, long video of a 987S with a Tubi exhaust. It includes both in-cabin and drive by sections.

The audio quality isn't professional, but it is representative. That car sounds darn good.

Snaxster
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #9
baxter

LOL that sounds awesome snaxster. thanks for doing that.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Snaxster

Hey, baxter. Happy New Year!

Not bad, huh? It's still my plan to get some decent recording gear and document my car's sound. When I do, I will post.

Snaxster

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman