Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 29th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Fred Cardwell

boxster 2.7 exhaust system

I am looking for an exhaust system which will give the car a "signature", and will add some horsepower. Fabspeed, Supersprint, Stebro to name a few have lots on info on line, but experience seems to be a better teacher. Any recommendations on adding just cat back, which is essentially a muffler, versus, headers all the way to the muffler. I only use the car for pleasure, so something on the loud side is not likely a bother. As an example the sound clip of the Fabspeed system to me sounded not loud, and a bit tinny, but maybe it is the internet. I can't find a site which does much comparison. Let me know what you think.
Fred
Fred Cardwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #2
First986NJ

FWIW......I added headers, EVO intake, and a Fabspeed exhaust to my '03. I have not had the ECU remapped yet, but plan to. The sound is awesome, the car SOUNDS like it should now. I do believe it has added power, but mostly in the mid-upper rev area, not so much down low. Unfortunately, the one downside is the infamous resonance between about 2000 and 2600 rpm. (I was told this exhaust was a 2 of 5 in this area, it isn't, its more like a 3 or 4) In the summer, with the top down and the stereo playing, it is not annoying at all. However, in a closed car it is kind of annoying because the 2000-2600 rpm band is a band you are in a LOT around town and even at highway speeds, assuming you obey the speed limits (60-65 - sometimes I do, sometimes not so much).

To be honest, I have wanted to remove the Fabspeed exhaust in favor of a PSE or modified stock exhaust, and eliminate the resonance, but it sounds soooooooo sweet that I can't seem to bring myself to do it.
'90 300ZX Aztec Red/Black
First986NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #3
bigb

Your requirements sound (no pun intended) tailor-made for the GHL that ChrisZang is selling (bay area boxster owner). Perhaps you can PM him if interested.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #4
boxs2000

I like my Dansk sport exhaust (sausage style) It sounds much better than stock an NO resonance! I have de snorkled and a K&N filter and really like the sound. It got a little louder as the muffler broke in and IMHO its just right. It's not as loud as a GHL, it does have a little deeper growl, but definately not obtrusive. I have no dyno sheets for power results, but over all I'm happy with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM   #5
dougster01

By the way - WELCOME!

Fred, Welcome on board! Have you made a decision on the new exhaust system for your BOX? Let us know! Take care.

Days gone by...
72 Triumph TR-6
73 Triumph TR-6
85 Pinnafarina Spyder
86 Audi Quattro 4000 CS
88 Porsche 944
00 Mazda Miata MX-5

dougster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM   #6
ChrisZang

Hi bigb,

I appreciate you looking out for me :-)
Unfortunately my GHL is for an "S" and won't fit onto a "non S"

But thanks anyaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Your requirements sound (no pun intended) tailor-made for the GHL that ChrisZang is selling (bay area boxster owner). Perhaps you can PM him if interested.
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7
TEMEKU987

Smile Fabspeed is not the answer. Try B.B., works great.

I own a 2007 Boxster with a 2.7L. I first ordered and installed a Fabspeeed cat back exhaust. I found it harsh sounding, much like a truck or noisy V8. It took away from the sweet Porsche sound we all enjoy. I returned the system to Fabspeed. The gave a full refund. Then I heard some good reviews about B.B. (Billy Boat) exhaust. I ordered and installed the exhaust. It has a GREAT sound. Deeper tone than stock but with all the Porsche growl. It is perfect for the 2.7L. It was very reasonable @$1295.00. It is all stainless and easy to install. I have had it three months and it works great.
TEMEKU987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Docdanracy

Chris, unless something is very different with your GHL,
the mounting and bolt pattern of a 2.7 and 3.2 are identical for the stock exhaust.
also Dansk SS twin pipe fits 2.7 and 3.2

there is no difference.

now if you are talking a 2.5 then yes they are different, but even that is just the way the muffler attaches to the tranny bracket....the other parts are exactly the same on those as well...they just don't interchange as easily
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #9
bigb

I have to admit - I didn't have Dan's wisdom when plugging your GHL Chris. I was uninformed enough not to realize that there could be an issue.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM   #10
ChrisZang

Dan,

like usual your help and knowledge is much appreciated :-)

Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
Chris, unless something is very different with your GHL,
the mounting and bolt pattern of a 2.7 and 3.2 are identical for the stock exhaust.
also Dansk SS twin pipe fits 2.7 and 3.2

there is no difference.

now if you are talking a 2.5 then yes they are different, but even that is just the way the muffler attaches to the tranny bracket....the other parts are exactly the same on those as well...they just don't interchange as easily
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.