Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:27 PM   #1
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

POLL: Should we limit posts to cars and Babblers activities

as well as the occasional joke of the day? In other words, do we not allow political commentary?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:35 PM   #2
Barry

Sounds like a plan.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:48 PM   #3
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Not unless our traffic picks up a lot...

It's easy enough to skip over topics I'm not interested in.

I think you have been doing a great job of just zapping the truly nasty stuff. I just hope that a lot of OT threads don't put too much burden on you.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:59 PM   #4
Jeremy in SF

I agree, I just skip over NBC stuff *NM*

Old July 23rd, 2003, 07:03 PM   #5
jaime howell

Re: POLL: Should we limit posts to cars and Babblers activities

tom, i think you know where i stand. i use this board for porshe related topics. it offends me when others use this board for their own political agenda...there are plenty of other boards for ones personal political beliefs. so i will not post my rush limbaugh joke...
Old July 23rd, 2003, 07:28 PM   #6
x99shark

I agree too, not merited. *NM*

Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:54 PM   #7
tc

Re: POLL: Should we limit posts to cars and Babblers activities

I lurke around and read this board often, but since I'm in Sacto I seldom post. However, I just wanted to comment on this issue. I come to this board because of the interesting topics, not just the porsche info. I can get that anywhere. The passion we all share is for that of the boxster, but I'm also drawn by the idea of many different topics of discussion just as If I was talking to any of you at the local pub. This makes for a livley convesation/board topic. I for one would hate to see the topics limited. If you have thin skin and are easliy offended then move on to the next topic.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 10:22 PM   #8
Steve B

Eliminate devisive political threads!

The recent political post only serve to agitate and add no value.

We are facing a full year with a local recall and national elections. Logically, I should ignore the political threads, but the fact that devisive statements are waved in my face each day irritates me.

I really enjoy the board and people. I also enjoy most OT discussions because they are typically positive and informative. Political and Religious (hasn't happen yet) discussions are divisive on this board. The recent post aren't even intended to inform, but to agitate. We are about to lose a great thing and change is needed!
Old July 23rd, 2003, 11:04 PM   #9
Magic Mtn Dan

Yeah, eliminate all devisive political threads!!!

Let's make this board like the other one! Yeah, that's the ticket. In fact, let's make rules about what can and can't be posted so that people self-censor. (Preceding was sarcasm)

WHO is going to define "devisive political threads?"

I don't think it's practical or even possible to restrict posts completely to a set of topics. There's too much room for interpretation and folks will definitely stay away if they're required to filter their own posts (or have them "filtered" by moderators here).

Just like all other boards, SKIP the stuff YOU DON'T LIKE! You can usually tell from the subject as to what the post is about.

It was said well in a few posts north of this one - this is like a pub (or a garage or driveway). The subjects of discussion are wide and varied and they're shared by people who have similar passions (well, at least in their choice of automobiles).

And by the way, I don't think my posts were inflammatory UNLESS of course you didn't agree with them. People are entitled (and encouraged) to have and express their opinions. Seems like if the subject or post isn't to one's liking then it's easy to call it "inflammatory."

And if you're joking about someting online, it's always a good idea to INDICATE THAT in your post either with a smilie like this or with a "j/k" ("just kidding") or some simple text that says, "joking."

Besides, if it's all just pretty flowers here, who will participate besides flower lovers?! Oh, one more thing (like Kevin said), you drop the OT posts and this place risks becoming as quiet as a bank at midnight.

Old July 23rd, 2003, 11:15 PM   #10
Magic Mtn Dan

So didya hear about the recall?!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman