Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 18th, 2002, 11:21 AM   #1
Chatter Box

Urgent Brake Question, Please Help

Hi guys,

I know this has probably been discussed before, but bear with me, I'm a newbie. Okay, I'm not a newbie, bear with me anyway.

I need to replace my front brake pads. Since this is my 2nd set of pads, I want to check my rotors prior to beginning the job and will change those too if necessary. What are the new and max worn widths of the front rotors? Also, I know what is involved with a pad change, but this will be my first rotor change. Can someone direct me to some instructions for changing the rotors? Also, I'll be doing the job at a friend's house and he'll have all the "regular" tools, but please let me know if I'll need some special Porsche tool to get this done.

Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2002, 11:38 AM   #2
Tool Pantsİ

Re: Urgent Brake Question, Please Help

This would be a good project for this weekends work on cars - hint.

The numbers are on the hat of the rotor - but they are hard to see - look like a bunch of dots. The shop manual says for an S the fronts are 28 mm new, and the minimum thickness is 26 mm. You need a mic and are supposed to check 8 different places on the rotor.
Old November 18th, 2002, 11:58 AM   #3
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Trygve has the answers you seek. *NM*

Trygve's Most Excellent Brake Instructions
Old November 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Chatter Box

AAwesome link. Thanks Tom and Trygve. *NM*

Old November 18th, 2002, 04:48 PM   #5
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

I use a $15 Sears measuring caliper, but...

a real micrometer would be better. My bet would be that you can get at least another set of pads out of your rotors, but a quick measurement will tell.

Replacing the rotors is really quite easy. The only tricky part is that you might need an impact driver to loosen the retaining screws. I have done this a couple of times, so let me know if you need any help. (But with Trygve's instructions, you will probably be all set.)

I am now getting ready to replace my rear rotors - maybe this weekend with the Babblers...
Old November 18th, 2002, 05:08 PM   #6
Chatter Box

I just bought one of those today.

Unfortunately, I think I feel vibration under braking now. My brake wear light came on Saturday. Scott Fisher helped me replace the rear pads Sunday. Both of them had worn past the sensor. The light went back off. Then later on Sunday, the light came back on. This time, it's the fronts. I spent the rest of the day driving with barely 3mm of pad and they probably got pretty hot. I might be safer just replacing the rotors while I'm doing it and while the pads are new.

I'll be measuring them tonight and if they are below 26mm, then I'll know for sure that I should replace them. Otherwise, I have to do a couple of test drives between now and replacement day.
Old November 18th, 2002, 05:21 PM   #7
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Have you considered frozen rotors? *NM*

Old November 19th, 2002, 11:30 AM   #8
Chatter Box

I should. Scott Fisher recommends them.

But I think I'll just pick up the regular OEM rotors since they're a little bit cheaper and I can buy them locally.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman