Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 26th, 2002, 07:52 AM   #1
Magic Mtn Dan

If one wanted to sell a 2000 Boxster S...

what's the best way to do that? Best places to advertise a 2000 Boxster S with some very special options (like deviating carpet, Speedster humps from the factory, Boxster S package, etc., etc.)?

Old July 26th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #2
Rich in Almaden Valley

Are you selling yours?

Is it BW like the model shown? I might be interested in the speedster humps if they're for sale separately...

Let me know.

Rich
Old July 26th, 2002, 09:37 AM   #3
Magic Mtn Dan

Re: Are you selling yours? (YES)

Yes. The Speedster humps are the originals (can't get them anymore) and they came with the car (rather unique as are other features of the car) - they're on the Moroney (window sticker) and won't be sold separately. Hey, maybe I should do what Tool Pants has always been talking about - sell my Boxster S part-by-part on Ebay. Nah.

Old July 26th, 2002, 09:38 AM   #4
Chatter Box

It's a sad day. How about a moment of silence. *NM*

Old July 26th, 2002, 10:08 AM   #5
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

Will you buy another sportscar soon, or wait? Z06? *NM*

Old July 26th, 2002, 12:29 PM   #6
Larry Nakamura (In SJ)

Must be going over to the dark side! Use the force and you will overcome. *NM*

Old July 26th, 2002, 03:16 PM   #7
Magic Mtn Dan

First I'm going to buy...

a house! Now is the time to borrow money! It doesn't get much cheaper than this. So I'm going to sell the S and "buy some property." location, location, location

Then I'm going to see what the new Corvette looks like. From what I've seen and read it should be an awesome car - the "base Corvette" could have 380+HP and the Z06 could be close to 450. With an improved interior and even the exterior and the price (VALUE), the $50,000 price tag will be, funny to say, a real benefit after owning a $62,000 252HP Porsche.

I have enjoyed the Porsche Boxster experience and I look forward to keeping the best part - the people I've met. Plus we're still very involved in the Porsche community with D2 Peformance (coming back from a serious computer problem). I will ultimately be Boxster S-less but I'm richer for it (figuratively).

Sure, you may consider that I'm going "over to the dark side" but I'm not the pioneer. That title belongs to Doctor Boxster (Michael Saal). Hey, anyone know what he's up to? I haven't heard from him in a long time!

It's going to be good shopping for a performance car again. I'm already enjoying having an open mind and looking at most every car except anything from Porsche - too much money and not enough value.

One last point - you know how to get a Porsche that is a real value? Buy a used one! My Porsche stickered for $62,000 (out the door it was $70,000!). I'm asking $44,000 for a car that has been pampered and improved (upgraded with Gemballa Cup wheels, etc., etc.) - I can't imagine buying a $62,000 car for almost $20,000 less! Such a deal!
Old July 26th, 2002, 03:36 PM   #8
Chatter Box

Boxsters low on value. Please!

As far as value goes, it depends on what you want. I have a friend that is a died in the wool fan of big American muscle. He drove a 99 Cobra convertible a while back and made fun of me more than once for spending so much on a car that was just slightly faster in the quarter mile. Note, the 99 Cobra convertible is consistently rated as a 14.2 sec car unlike the faster 99 Cobra coupe.

Anyway, he recently got a chance to shakedown a 2.7. I rode with him. He spent the entire drive with a sh**-eating grin. He took it on some Lmo backroads and with a little coaxing from me saying things like "you don't have to slow here, stay on the throttle", I had him tearing it up. He never got over 7/10ths but left completely enthused. He had this to say...

"I finally understand why you drive the way you do. I used to wonder why you couldn't just take it easy and now I know."

and

"I think I'd be happy with a 2.7. This car is so beautifully balanced that I don't even think I need to spend the extra dough on a 3.2"

That was from a guy that previously said things like...

"I don't care about turns or the track or whatever. I just want to floor it and get punched in the back."

He spent the next few days shopping around for a used 2.7 and ultimately decided it wasn't in the cards right now.

But the point is that you may be at a point where you want something from a car that the Boxsters don't offer. You can probably find it for a lot less because what the Boxsters do offer tends to cost the most. Just take a look at the stickers of any powerful midengined car. Find one cheaper than the Boxster. G'ahead.

Don't get me wrong. I want more power, too. I want to be able to get power oversteer at 85mph rather than only 40 and under. But for me, the next logical step is getting a 3.4 TT upgrade from Gemballa. Or maybe the new V12 Toyota. Or maybe the new V8 NSX. Of course, that's not about value. It's all about wants.

Good luck with whatever you buy. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old July 26th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #9
Tool Pantsİ

Dan - go for the American Dream

Owning a home (with a mortgage of course) is way, way, more important than a car. The current low interest rates will not be seen again for a long time, if just the housing prices would go down with the interest rates.

Sell the car and buy a house - do not even think twice about it.

Jeff
Old July 26th, 2002, 10:27 PM   #10
JoshS

sell the S, buy a house, use the equity to buy another S... *NM*

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman