Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:35 PM   #1
CatalogGuy

I need a battery

Hi Babblers!

Anybody home?

I need to replace the battery in my 2000 986S. Years ago I believe the cage was expanded to accommodate a larger battery. The current one is a big Interstate with 850 CCA.

Looking online, that model (MPT-93) has been discontinued. The replacement has a much lower CCA.

I am also concerned about fit. I do not understand the battery sizes. H6, H7, H8, 46, 48, 93??? How do these codes relate to one another?

I went to Wheel Works as they carry Interstate, but they did not have the large model, and will not install an OEM size as there have been mods (they will sell it to me over the counter which is what I want).

Consumer Reports recommends DieHard, Optima and a Walmart brand,

Any suggestions? Any help on how the size codes work?
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:17 PM   #2
mikefocke

The one you have is still on the Interstate web site. Ask them to order it. The Interstate site has the dimensions so with those and the CCA you can compare. Nothing special about a normal battery that Porsche used but, with your modification, easier to find an exact fit.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m...plus-batteries has a chart of sizes and capacities.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 05:28 PM   #3
CatalogGuy

Thanks, Mike. That chart is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
The one you have is still on the Interstate web site. Ask them to order it. The Interstate site has the dimensions so with those and the CCA you can compare. Nothing special about a normal battery that Porsche used but, with your modification, easier to find an exact fit.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/m...plus-batteries has a chart of sizes and capacities.
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:10 PM   #4
mikefocke

I should add for any future readers that venting and which side the positive terminals are on is important.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman