Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1
The Voxster

New wheels...? WHAT??

Whoa. What a friggin' whirlwind. After pricing out all those wheels I posted the other day, I pretty much wrote off getting any of them unless something REALLLLY special came up...

Which... WEIRDLY, it did. And almost immediately.

After I posted that picture of the Work VS-KF wheels and asked you guys "what about these?" (the later pic post in that thread from the other day), I checked them out a bit, priced them out too (turned out around $4k again... arg!) and then sorta wrote them off too.

Then yesterday morning, I decided I wanted to know a little more about them, even IF I don't get them ever... mainly to satisfy my curiosity about them--are they 3-piece, are they cast or forged, are they clearcoated, do they have a fitment for 986 Boxsters, etc. so I started where a lot of people start... Google.

The VERY FIRST search result at the top of the list was for a classified ad for some 19" Work VS-KF wheels in pristine shape (and in the color I liked best) coming off a 986 Boxster on 6speedonline.com.

Whoa... REALLY? I checked the post time to make sure I wasn't seeing things... and sure 'nuff, the ad was literally posted just a few hours before I started searching... so I checked it out. I didn't honestly expect them to be much more reasonable in price than new, and I'd still have to buy tires for an extra $1000 or so, but what the hell, right? It's the internet... I can look all day for free.

To make a long story short, instead of paying $4000 for a brand new set of 19" Work VS-KF wheels, waiting 8 weeks for them to be custom built for a Boxster application and then spending another (as it turns out) $700-$900 on tires, I made him an offer, which he accepted. I got the whole deal--wheels AND a set of 4 Toyo T1R tires in sizes recommended by the Tire Rack and in good shape, mounted and balanced for $1800 even!! I totally wasn't expecting to even upgrade the wheels... ever, but I'd have been a fool to pass that up, I think.

I'm so stoked, I can't even tell you. I do agree with many of you that posted in favor of the 18" OE wheels as well... they DO look great on a 986, but the beautiful thing about all this is that because of the price, I now have the option of keeping both sets of wheels and tires when I want to AX or DE the car--or just when I want a change.

Pardon the crap phone camera pics, but I just HAD to share.

Some specs:
Construction: 3-piece
Weight: ~21 lbs front, ~23 lbs rear
Width: 8.5" front, 10" rear

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #2
clemsonc

Great looking wheels. Very well match with your car!

I bet 19" won't fit on the 97-99 Boxsters.
I am looking for a set a wheels too. Saw an ad on GGR site classified, a set of black 17". But I don't know if they will be fit.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonc View Post
Great looking wheels. Very well match with your car!

I bet 19" won't fit on the 97-99 Boxsters.
I am looking for a set a wheels too. Saw an ad on GGR site classified, a set of black 17". But I don't know if they will be fit.
Thanks, Clemson. I don't know for sure whether 19s will fit 97-99, but tat sounds familiar... you may be right, but there are others here who would know for sure.

If you want 18s, though, there are tons of great looking Porsche OE ones out there for not a whole lotta money. Check here:

http://shop.wheelsrims.net/search.ht...ster&year=2003

Check out the Carrera Lightweights... they're called "2003 - 2004 Porsche Boxster 18" x 7.5" Alloy Wheel". They look awesome, they're about $280 each, and they're really light.

There are lots of other awesome ones there too.

Hear The Future
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Gerry

wow! Vox...that's one sick set of shoes you got there...it looks awesome! can't wait to see it on the next event...

clem, 19" will fit in our Boxster as we have the same one, mine is 99 and using a Replica 19" Carrera Lightweights from wheel Dynamics.I forgot how much did it cost me but i bought it as a set but make sure you save your center caps. The best part about it is the cleaning part...so easy

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #5
Gerry

off topic*

i'm listeing to the trip media right now, when is your next performance..it says on your site TBA. let me know...

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Docdanracy

Clemson, you could run 19s on your car.

the factory did not recommend running anything larger than 17s on the '97s due to a rear suspension pickup point needing more support. This was attended to sometime in '98 I believe.

But why would you want to do that on your 2.5L?

I ran factory 18s with DOT R Dunlops for about 8 months. At AX they killed the little power that the 2.5 has. And at the track I never felt they let the car stay as balanced as the 17s with the exact same DOT Rs.

The factory turbo twists that I had were extremely heavy....tooooo heavy.
Boat anchors actually.

I much preferred the '99 with 17s. If you paid very big bucks for some very light weight wheels then 18s might be OK, but the 19s would be too much IMHO
ON an S with more torque and HP the bigger heavier wheels are not as big a problem.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #7
Westcoaster

Nice wheels, curious, what size tires?
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #8
clemsonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
But why would you want to do that on your 2.5L?
Dan,
I am interested to see if the set of black 17" (on GGR website) will fit the 99 Boxster.
They look great on a gray color car (like mine).

Tires for 17" wheel is cheaper. I am all about cheap/inexpensive.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM   #9
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Nice wheels, curious, what size tires?
Thanks! They're 19" wheels, tires are (front) 235/35 and (rear) 265/30, though I think I'm gonna do 275/30 next set of rears so I can have a little protection for the lips.

Hear The Future
Old September 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Docdanracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonc View Post
Dan,
I am interested to see if the set of black 17" (on GGR website) will fit the 99 Boxster.
They look great on a gray color car (like mine).

Tires for 17" wheel is cheaper. I am all about cheap/inexpensive.
you mean the Jongbloeds on the Blue BoxsterS?

yes they will fit...

actual clearance/fitment is the same for all 986s except you need at least 17" wheels to clear the calipers on the S models.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman