Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old October 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1
offshore

Racing Seats For A 986

My drivers' seat is coming apart with rips in the leather and pieces coming off the bolsters. I've been looking around trying to find a replacement for it and have priced replacement seat covers from GAHH and it looks like $800 for a seat from a wrecking yard and $1100 for the GAHH covers. Since I plan on AX more next season and running at least two track events next season (more if I can afford it) I've started looking at racing seats instead of the stock seats. I don't know a thing about them except I know that I want something that is comfortable enough that I can drive around town and road trips but provides more support than what I currently have. Since they will be exposed to as much sun as I can possibly give them when the weather is right they will also have to be durable and not get blazing hot. I've been looking at these http://www.hyperautoparts.com/shop/p...cat=377&page=1 but my ignorance about seats has kept me from buying them so I'm asking any forum members who have experience with racing seats for input about the seats I'm looking at or any other seats that you have found you like.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #2
TI (Alameda)

I would guess that the most popular race seat is the Sparco EVO. I see them a lot and have one myself. They come in two sizes: EVO (regular) and EVO 2 (wider bucket for larger folks). Like any race seat, it is harder to get in and out of, but you do get used to it and eventually stop thinking about it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bombayd...7594155768400/

Ballpark cost is $600 plus mounting adapter hardware. Adapter hardware depends how you want to mount it. I think it was about $200 for: Brey-Krause floor adapters + Sparco sliders + Sparco side rails; which means you can slide the race seat, can leave your factory sliders on the factory seat, and can swap seats by just r&r'ing the original 4 floor bolts.

Last edited by TI (Alameda); October 19th, 2009 at 02:31 PM.
TI (Alameda) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #3
ChrisZang

Ron,

the seats where you had the link for are cheap crap, don't buy them (you get what you pay for)
Also if you want to run a race harness in DE you need the hole in the seat for the sub-belts. Othwerise you'll be stuck with the 3-point harness.
I have a (Momo) seat similar to the Sparco and Trygve said it right:
A bit hard to get in and out but relatively comfortable when in.
My biggest issue is that race seats have hardly any cushioning so I usually have a folded towel under my butt when I go to/from DE days (I swap seats and have the race seats only in the car for DE days, takes about 30 min / seat)

BTW: I'd guess that the second most common race seats in our cars are the Chinese knock-offs of the (Recaro) GT3 seats which usually go for around $1k on eBay
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Ruby

Chinese Recaro replicas

I had these seats in the box when I bought it. At first I liked them as the bottom cushion and backs "seemed" comfortable. But after a while the back bolsters were thin and I could feels the frame and being cheap I sweated from the material.
Removed them and replaced with 911 seats.

Burt
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
KenJ

I have the Recaro SPG XL (for wide bodies).... very similar to Trygve's Sparcos.

In addition to Trygve's comments, I find them Very helpful with autocross... when thrashing back and forth, it really keeps you in place and allows you to relax your hands and drive (otherwise, you can death grip the steering wheel just to keep yourself in place).

good luck,

kj
'73 911 E, #44, GGR AX 11
KenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
Ron,

the seats where you had the link for are cheap crap, don't buy them (you get what you pay for)
Also if you want to run a race harness in DE you need the hole in the seat for the sub-belts. Othwerise you'll be stuck with the 3-point harness.
I have a (Momo) seat similar to the Sparco and Trygve said it right:
A bit hard to get in and out but relatively comfortable when in.
My biggest issue is that race seats have hardly any cushioning so I usually have a folded towel under my butt when I go to/from DE days (I swap seats and have the race seats only in the car for DE days, takes about 30 min / seat)

BTW: I'd guess that the second most common race seats in our cars are the Chinese knock-offs of the (Recaro) GT3 seats which usually go for around $1k on eBay
Thanks for the warning. I should have added that whatever I put in will be the seat I live with street and track as I don't have storage for two sets and no place to work on my car. I also have a 62 year old bottom that needs some padding. I'll check out the Momo's and Recaro's again as I think Recaro has a middle of the road seat for street and competition.
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #7
WC13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post

I swap seats and have the race seats only in the car for DE days, takes about 30 min / seat
Chris,

Which Momo seats do you have? Do they fit onto the stock mounting? If not, what do I need to do to be able to switch seats with relative ease. I would like to have race seats & belts for the track, but my wife occasionally drives my car and already complains about the stock seats/ride. Would not want to be anywhere near her after she got out after a ride with race seats!

Thanks!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #8
WC13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJ View Post
you can death grip the steering wheel just to keep yourself in place.
I too am looking to add race seats. I have found that 1) my left leg is tired from being pushed hard onto the dead pedal to keep me in place and 2) I occasionally miss a shift because my left leg is supporting me and not ready to hit the clutch for a downshift!
"When you turn your car on, does it return the favor?"
WC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC13 View Post
I too am looking to add race seats. I have found that 1) my left leg is tired from being pushed hard onto the dead pedal to keep me in place and 2) I occasionally miss a shift because my left leg is supporting me and not ready to hit the clutch for a downshift!
Do you find yourself pressing your right leg into the console to keep you from moving around? I had a bruise on my right knee and at one point thought the console was going to break off!
Old October 28th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Grantsfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJ View Post
I have the Recaro SPG XL (for wide bodies).... very similar to Trygve's Sparcos.

In addition to Trygve's comments, I find them Very helpful with autocross... when thrashing back and forth, it really keeps you in place and allows you to relax your hands and drive (otherwise, you can death grip the steering wheel just to keep yourself in place).

good luck,

kj
I run same seat as Ken. Very happy with them.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing