Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old February 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1
offshore

Magnetic Track And AX Numbers

Anyone have a good source, preferably online, to order the magnetic oval with numbers for the doors, hood and trunk? I'd like the standard white oval background with black numbers and need to know the dimensions to order for track and AX. Thanks in advance!
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #2
ChrisZang

why don't you give Pedro a chance:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechNumbers.html
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #3
offshore

Thanks Chris, Pedro's site was the first one I went to but, unless I'm missing something, he sells individual numbers and I want the oval with numbers.
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
clemsonc

I got the magnetic sheet from TAP Plastic 24x12 for $7 (cut into an oval, yourself)
And the TAP can do the individual numbers for you, or you can pick up a set of pre-cut numbers (black). The pre-cut set numbers are normally good for the front and rear of the car, because they are not big enough.

My 10in - 12in vinyl numbers (for the sides) were from FastSigns...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Docdanracy

Tap Plastics sells the magnetic sheet that you can cut into any shape you like. They also sell different colors of vinyl sheeting to make the actual numbers from.
What I did was found a font I liked and blew it up to be ~12" high and 8.5" wide and used that as a stencil and traced the number onto the vinyl. Cut it out and then apply it to your mag sheet.
Easy do it yourself project and very inexpensive. I have done this on several occasions over the years. Works just fine, and if you take your time they look pretty professional.
What ever font you use make sure to use it in bold format. You want the stroke of the font to be at least 1.5-2" wide for easy viewing for a distance.
When you are on track this is the only way we (track officials) have of identifying you and your car.
Blue painters tape on a dark blue or black car looks great from 5 feet away, from 50" it looks like graffiti.

Make sure what ever color vinyl you use for the numbers is very contrasting with the white background of the mag sheet.

Door numbers should be at least 10-12" high with 1.5-2 inch stroke, 8" wide.
Hood and rear numbers can be a bit smaller ( especially on the back).
Check the clubs you plan on running with. Some only require door numbers some require all four sides of car and some only require doors and hood.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #6
ChrisZang

Hi Ron,

not sure if you're still looking but I got my numbers from http://www.izoomgraphics.com/

The guy was really great to work with and even snail-mailed me some color samples (my numbers are white on the same background as the car color)

An example on how this turned out can be seen here:
http://www.pca-ggr.org/node/1300 but Ron, I guess you know that pic anyway, since you took it
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #7
offshore

Thanks everyone I ended up going here https://solotime.3dcartstores.com/So...rs_p_1405.html
and getting the LeMans style white ellipse with black brush script numbers. Since I was assigned #130, James Dean's number on Little Bastard, and my Box is the same color combo I felt compelled to get the number as close looking as the one George Barris painted on his Spyder.
Chris, what a good looking car no wonder I photographed it. You don't really race it do you?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing