Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 27th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #21
Blubox03

Very nice work!! How hard was it to change the fuel pump?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blubox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Hawkdriver

Believe it or not, it wasn't that difficult. The hardest part was getting hold of the proper tool to gain access to the fuel cell. It's a large screw on cap on top of the fuel cell, under the battery tray. I borrowed one from a mechanic friend (the guy I went to see to have the fuel tank drained)... it was a standard tool used to gain access to fuel cells. I just googled it, so see:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3705790...Types&var=sbar

Anyway, I only add the bit about the tool, because Pellican parts has a good article on the job (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...-Fuel_Pump.htm), but says something about using a screwdriver or something to open it up. It's PLASTIC, and has been exposed to fuel. NO WAY! I used the correct tool, and it worked great without breaking the stinkin' thing. But I digress. I bought the fuel pump from a local Porsche dealer as I was in a hurry... car taken apart in the garage, and me not driving it always makes me impatient. Haha. Could have bought it way cheaper through Sunsetimports.com. The new pump came with a new gasket for the plastic cap that I talked about above. Total cost for the job (since I did the work) was $430 for the pump. Again, could have gotten the pump WAY cheaper... I can't stress this enough.

My final word on this... you have to have the fuel level at least at 3/4th drained, and you'll still get your hands in gas. Since mine wouldn't even drain below 3/4th as I previously mentioned, I had no choice but to glove up, and get gassy. Easy way to drain the fuel cell (if you have a large enough collection tank), as my buddy showed me, is to tap into the fuel line in the engine bay, and use a relay on the fuel pump above the fuse box to get the pump running non stop. He just ran a hose from the fuel line in the engine bay into a 5 gallon gas can. Jumped the relay. Turned on the ignition. Drained as far as it could go. Put everything back to normal, and then got into the fuel cell. Total time for job (and I'm not a mechanic at all) was about 3 hours to include draining the gas and putting everything else back together. Well worth it... I can now drive below 1/4th tank without the engine dying on me. Someone else commented on the calibration of the fuel gague... It's spot on!

Thanks everyone for your patience. I was a crab about this, and I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Have a good one everyone!

Scott
Napa, CA
Hawkdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #23
TimBoxster986

Any Feedback on the resolution?

I have an 01 Boxster with the same issue, once the gas tank goes under 3/4 of a tank it starts to behave badly. Once I put more gas in then it runs like a top. Not sure if the valve is bad, fuel pump, pickup, etc. Any help is appreciated..
TimBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #24
TimBoxster986

Appologies, the fuel pump did not show up initially when I read the post.

Thank you for the detailed post, looks like I will be following your path to change it out.
TimBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman