Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 4th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #1
deschodt

Can someone confirm IMS cutoff date for easy fix?

I'm looking at a used base 05 987 as a spare & fun car. I vaguely recall 2005s have the old M96 and an IMS bearing that can be replaced easily while doing a clutch job. And that later models with M97s cannot have this done without splitting the case. Am I remembering right? Forgive me it's been 10yrs !
If so, was it all 05s or a mid year change ?

I don't wanna buy the car, pay for a clutch job and bearing and then find out I cannot do the bearing ;-( Looking for a semi-reliable fun beater here, the thing will have 100+K miles...
Thanks !

Greg.
deschodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschodt View Post
I'm looking at a used base 05 987 as a spare & fun car. I vaguely recall 2005s have the old M96 and an IMS bearing that can be replaced easily while doing a clutch job. And that later models with M97s cannot have this done without splitting the case. Am I remembering right? Forgive me it's been 10yrs !
If so, was it all 05s or a mid year change ?

I don't wanna buy the car, pay for a clutch job and bearing and then find out I cannot do the bearing ;-( Looking for a semi-reliable fun beater here, the thing will have 100+K miles...
Thanks !

Greg.
There is absolutely no proven way of knowing which style bearing is in a 2005 car without taking it apart and looking at it. All the other "supposed" methods have proven to be unreliable.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #3
deschodt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
There is absolutely no proven way of knowing which style bearing is in a 2005 car without taking it apart and looking at it. All the other "supposed" methods have proven to be unreliable.
Aw, crap ;-) Ok, thanks, there goes that idea then. Might as well shoot for an 06 then and get an M97 engine.
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #4
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschodt View Post
Aw, crap ;-) Ok, thanks, there goes that idea then. Might as well shoot for an 06 then and get an M97 engine.
Or find an earlier car and go with your original plan immediately after purchase.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #5
deschodt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Or find an earlier car and go with your original plan immediately after purchase.
There's no going earlier for me ;-( and 09s are nowhere to be found on the web (it's uncanny!). I had 986/996/987 in the past, I definitely want the 987 design inside and out. Hence the 2005 idea, but as I understand from you and more research, it's impossible to know for sure what you got in 05 until you open it.

I get that if I luck into an old replaceable style bearing, I win the right to install an LN replacement or whatever, and if I have the later bearing, it is better and a lower failure rate... but in the case of a $15K toy car, this is a risk that makes no sense to me. I had an 06 Cayman S a few years back and a good friend of mine blew his up (same production date as mine) and I know he was not babying it and was changing oil religiously. Guess I'll look for something else.
Old March 5th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #6
mikefocke

Curious, I went to cars.com and found more than a dozen 2009s. Maybe not around the corner but they are out there. Some tantalizing prices too.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman