Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 16th, 2001, 06:57 PM   #1
Jim Lawrence

02 Sensor Problem.. Catalog Guy

I think I have the solution Andrew. Niello's worked hard trying to track down the problem, and they finally have the solution. My light has not come back on, and guess what, it is not the sensor. They replaced the sensor, did everything with the sensor, reset it a multitude of times, and then they just detached the ECU, re-attached it, (and this is the interesting part), added "Snake Oil", to ensure of a good connection of the ECU and it now runs like a scalded dog with no "Check Engine Light" problem. They are a great dealership for the time they spent. There is another individual on PPBB that had the same problem, without the headers, so this is not an isolated problem relating to just the headers install. In fact his dealer told him that he has seen several of these 02 sensor problems. Let me know if it takes care of your problem
Old March 16th, 2001, 07:41 PM   #2
Catalog Guy

Finally

Finally someone has made some progress it seems. Thanks Jim for working closely with Niello. I am sure that the folks here would give it a whirl if I could explain what needs to be done. Are you saying that they improved the connection on the ECU? Have you had your ECU modified as I did? Interesting that this issue may be more common than we had realized and may not be related to headers at all. I have all my fingers crossed.

Thanks!!!

Andrew

Old March 16th, 2001, 08:06 PM   #3
Len[Newhall,Ca.]

Re: 02 Sensor Problem.. Catalog Guy

I'm having problems with the the check engine illuminating also, do you know which codes you are getting from the computer. The codes I'm getting are 1123 & 1125. Do these codes look familiar? Thank you in advance. Len
Old March 16th, 2001, 10:21 PM   #4
Catalog Guy

Know the code

P0133 - Aging of 02 sensor ahead of catalytic converter cylinder 1-3

P1275 - Aging of 02 sensor ahead of catalytic converter cylinder 1-3 below limit

...as appears within my 9 page print out from Stead Porsche.

Andrew
Old March 17th, 2001, 12:25 AM   #5
Jim Lawrence

Catalog Guy...you have mail *NM*

Old March 19th, 2001, 02:10 PM   #6
Jim Lawrence

Catalog Guy..do you have heated seats?

After further research w/Niello's there is very possibly a grounding problem. After alot of discussion w/Niello's service manager, they are going to do some more research because the problem is pointing to the ground or alternator. I drove all day Friday and all day Saturday and the light never came on again, (and there was alot of spirited driving involved, as well as just cruising). UNTIL Saturday night, when at Bodega Bay, my wife turned the heater on to 85 degrees, seat heaters on high, w/litronics on, and BINGO, on came the light again. Niello's has called Atlanta for guidance and they are now sure that it is an electrical system problem, NOT HEADER-RELATED. Larry Reuter, (Service Manager for Niello), said that he is pretty sure that all that juice flowing at one time points to either the alternator or a good proper ground and that it pointing to the 02 sensor is just the nature of the beast, (them having proven that my sensors are A-Okay from replacing them to switching them around). Interesting enough, the last three times the check-engine light came on was when my wife was freezing, (cold blooded), and she cranked everything up to the max. I didn't realize this until the Bodega Bay trip, and she says, "I think it is from me turning everything on at once". I asked her had she done this each time, and she said yes, I just hadn't realized that this was the trigger each time, (I can't stand that much heat). I will keep you posted, I can't stand that light being on.
Old March 19th, 2001, 08:57 PM   #7
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Interesting... I often run with the heater on HIGH, drivers

seat on high and lit's on. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This looks like a good bit of detective work! It would be amazing if it was tied to the passenger seat.

'00 S MBK/NBL/BLK
Old March 20th, 2001, 07:26 PM   #8
Catalog Guy

Re: Catalog Guy..do you have heated seats?

I do have heated seats. I also have that big ADS amplifier which must use a lot of juice. Thanks for the tip. I am really curious to hear your follow-up on this. Meanwhile, I have a call in to Mark, the service manager at Stead Porsche. Keep your fingers crossed!

Andrew
Old March 20th, 2001, 09:09 PM   #9
Jim Lawrence

I'll keep you posted on the outcome

I talked to Niello's service manager today, (Larry Reuter). He calls every day to keep me posted. He has talked to the district manager and they all agree that is a grounding problem and could very well be related to the alternator. They have contacted two Porsche engineers and they are coming up with the total solution, (and they all agree that it is not header-related). I should hear back tomorrow what they plan to do to resolve the problem. AND, it is all covered under warranty, (they made that very clear). When I have the outcome I will post and e-mail you.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman