Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 30th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #1
PT

brake light issue

Hello,

I'd like to ask the board if anyone has this problem before I take my car Box apart. My brake light is intermittenly coming and going off when the brake is applied. The brake light comes on when the pedal is depressed but after the pdeal is all the way down, the brake light turns off. How is the brake signal sent to the brake light? Is there a faulty switch or contact?

Thanks
;-p
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #2
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

Re: brake light issue

Get a helper and just press on the brake light switch to see when it turns on/off. It would be best to remove the switch (which is pretty easy) when doing the test as that isolates it from everything else. If it then works properly you know the switch is good. I'd also shake it a bit to see if it's gone bad internally and is intermittent. If it's working properly then press on the pedal to see if something else is happening, like a pinched wire. It might also be a loose connector and it causes it to be intermettent based on the road surface. Though this is unlikely if it happens while sitting in the driveway.
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #3
PT

Is this switch located in the brake pedal area?
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #4
Tom M (Sunol, CA)

I went down and looked and it's located at the top of the brake assembly (close to under the dash area.) Should be easy to remove/check the connector. I didn't see how to remove the switch but it may just be a snap-in connection based on the placement.
Old January 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #5
Ethan Dahlkamp

The switch is removed by twisting the switch assembly. E

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman