Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 7th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #1
Rich Lamb

Water in the cabin!

Long story (sorry):
I recently had some body work done on my 97, which was in a minor accident (rear-ended). Part of the repair was to replace the carpet because of a very bad coffee stain (spilled during the accident).
After getting the car back, I noticed that the cruise control wasn't working, which prompted examining the pedal assembly. The Porsche dealer found the broken cruise control cable (broken during carpet installation), but also found considerable water in the driver's side compartment under the carpet.

Prior to having the cruise control inspected, I took the car on a short vacation and had to park it outside in the rain for 2 days.
Has anyone else had this kind of water problem?

The body shop checked the drains from the back of the car, and found them clear, and now suspect that water dripped from under the dashboard due to a bad windshield seal. I can almost buy this, as I garage the car, and rarely leave it outside, especially in wet weather (It's a S.F. bay area car).
Any other experiences (+ solutions) to matters of water in the cockpit would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:51 AM   #2
Eric in Dallas

Re: Water in the cabin!

2 possibilities:
1) There are drains on either side of the battery. Open the front hood and remove the battery cover. I can't remember if you need to remove the covers on the far right and left but if you do it is one torx screw. Anyway, check those drains.
2) The AC condensation drain may also have been disrupted by the carpet install. It can produce significant water as well.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #3
Rich Lamb

Thanks

Eric,
Thanks for the diagnosis. I passed this information along to the dealer, as they are doing the repair. Today I found out that they can reproduce the problem by pouring water on the windshield, so the drains sound very suspect to me.
I had also noticed pooling of water near the battery after washing the car. I hope that it's just some plugged drains. If so, I'll be able to do that repair myself in the future.
Again, Thanks.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman