Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old February 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1
Tom S

Help with immobilizer problem

I'm having the 1st real problem with my '98. Seems the problem is the immobilizer under the driver's seat. It shuts the starter down. I had the item replaced last Friday and today the same problem returned. Porsche said the Boxster might have the ignition switch as a problem with similiar symtoms. I vaguely recall some ignition switch problems on the early Boxsters. Anyone refresh my memory on that problem?
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Tom, I'm unclear as to what part you had replaced. Was it the electrical portion of the ignition switch? There was a recall on '97 Boxsters dealing with ignition switch failures.

Btw - does it fail the same way using either key?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Terry

Ignition Switch

I had to have the ignition switch replaced on my 2001. It didn't have the same symptoms as yours; it just became very difficult to turn. Interestingly, the Rep said the ignition swath failing was a common problem. Good Luck!
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #4
Tom S

The immobilizer was replaced. It resides under the drivers seat. Both remote keys work along with the valet key. The keys turn in the ignition easily to the start position, all dash lights are normal, but nothing happens. The Porsche service people say the immobilizer has been upgraded sometime in the past and needs the latest PS2 coding.
Porsche replaced the part....it worked fine for 4 days and then kaput.

Past history:

Soon after delivery this happened. Towed to dealer...they said immobilizer needed reprogramming.

Fast forward to last August. Same problem. Towed to MY Porsche. They said a wire had come undone on the immobilizer. Fixed,

1 week ago same thing. Towed to DM Motors in PA. In removing the drivers seat, tapped the immobilizer. It suddenly works. I figure replace the part as I don't want to be stranded. Carlsen has "lots" of them in their parts dept. Carlsen tells me and DM that the ignition switch may exhibit similiar problems and I may have to buy a new upgraded switch. I just couldn't remember if the switch was under a recall or not.

Tom S.
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

Well the good news is that the replaced part has a 2 year warranty . The bad news is that you still need to deal with the problem

I believe the recall was only for '97. In any event if there was a recall your car's been in the shop enough times that it would have likely been performed by now.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6
Tom S

Verdict is the ignition switch is bad. Carlsen sent the wrong part to DM Motors so I will have to pick up the car tomorrow.

Hopefully end of story.

Thanks for the help.

Tom S.+
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

Just curious. Did they replace the entire switch or just the electical portion?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #8
Tom S

I'll confirm tomorrow, but I believe it is just the bad connection portion of the switch.

Tom S.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman