Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #1
satsana

driver window catches on top

When I open the driver-side door on my 2000 BoxsterS, I can hear the electric window motor do it's little thing to drop the window about 1/8 of an inch but the window does not move.

As a result, the top of the window catches on the top a bit when the door is opened. The rest of the electric window operation works fine.

Has anyone seen this before? I am about to open up the door pannel to see what I can see but was wondering if there is anything else I should look for before starting this project.

Thanks
satsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

Does the window work normally other than not doing the automatic drop?

Do the windows drop when the top is unlatched or is it only when using the door handle?

If the handle, is it the same for both inside and outside?
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #3
satsana

Does the window work normally other than not doing the automatic drop?

>>> Yep, window works fine in all other ways.

Do the windows drop when the top is unlatched or is it only when using the door handle?

>>> Yep, when the top is unlaltched, both windows drop as they should.

If the handle, is it the same for both inside and outside?

>>> When you pull on either the inside and outside handles on the driver
>>> side, you can hear the motor move a bit to drop the window and
>>> the glass moves jsut a bit. It does not however, drop enough to clear
>>> the gutter on the top.

Old September 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

If it drops properly when the latch is released then it sounds like the regulator is probably OK. This means it's probably the switch in the door handle. Though I don't see how it would drop only a little bit.

Now that I think about it a bit more the amount of drop is different when the latch is released vs. when the handle is pulled so it might just be a bad regulator. The only way to tell either for sure is to open up the door and have a look.

Trygve has a great writeup on what's involved in doing a regulator replacement. The entire process took me about 3 hours as a DIY. You can read about my saga on replacing a window regulator if you are so inclined.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #5
satsana

Yep, after looking at a couple of the other threads it sounds like that is the problem. Have to open it up and take a look inside next weekend.

Thanks
Old September 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #6
satsana

slack in the regulator cable

I just got finished putting the driver side door back together again. The instructions on the Trygve Isaacson's web site were great.

The motor and regulator seem to both be working fine, but when the window is all the way up, there is extra slack in the regulator cable on the bottom side. When the motor engages to drop the window a bit to clear the channel, the extra slack being taken up causes window to not drop enough to clear the channel.

I noticed that there is a spring tensioning device on the bottom side of the regulator. In my case, when the window is all the way up the spring is fully expanded and there is still too much slack in the cable. As a hack, I added a small hose clamp a the bottom of the tensioning sping to take up some of the extra slack (see the attached photo). I don't know how long this will work, but for now it seems to have fixed the problem.

I did not remove the motor or regulator but could not see any adjustment that I could make to eliminate this regulator cable slack. If anyone knows of a way to adjust this, please let me know.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
boxster regulator2.jpg  

Last edited by satsana; September 29th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
tah

Can someone tell me more about the "switch" in the door. My drivers door will drop a little bit (like it's supposed to) and then IMMEDIATELY go back up.

It doesn't wait for the door to close.

Goes up and down fine, drops the 1/2" or so when the top is released.

97 model if it matters..........

Thanks in advance
tah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #8
satsana

May be a different problem

The problem you’re seeing sounds different that what I experienced.

The problem I saw was that extra slack had developed in the regulator cable so the window would not drop enough when the motor engaged to drop the window. In looking at the other threads on window problems, this “extra slack in the cable” problem seems like one of the common failure modes of the regulator that is fixed by replacing it.

I don’t know if replacing the regulator will correct the problem you’re seeing or if the problem has to do with the switch in the door handle.

Does it behave the same way when you use the inside door handle as the outside? If so, a guess is that the issue is with the regulator. If the two behave differently then it may more likely be an issue with the door handle that behaves badly. Just and idea…
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #9
Tom M
Site Founder

If you open the door from the outside and repeatedly use the handle to open it more (even though it's already open) does the glass then move? I can get mine to do that on an intermittent basis.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:51 PM   #10
tah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
If you open the door from the outside and repeatedly use the handle to open it more (even though it's already open) does the glass then move? I can get mine to do that on an intermittent basis.
Seeing EXACTLY this now, after replacing the switch. Not all the time but when it's acting up and not dropping I can hold the exterior handle in the "pulled" position and the glass drops and stays dropped. As soon as I release the handle it goes back up.

Anyway it does this "when" it's misbehaving. I hate intermittent problems, the absolute worst to troubleshoot!
tah is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman