Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old October 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #1
davezaristo

Laguna Seca Track event - 11/4-11/5

Just wondering if any of you guys from the bay area is interested in going..got this from a buddy of mine who is rolling with the s2k crowd...I've never tracked my 987 before so thinking about this as my first time...

http://www.speedventures.com/11-4-2006_LS_event.asp
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #2
davezaristo

so no one into track events here? It will be my first time tracking my 987 so hopefully will see some of you out there...
Old October 20th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #3
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezaristo
so no one into track events here? It will be my first time tracking my 987 so hopefully will see some of you out there...
I want to, though am not sure I can cough up the money incase I do (or have done to me) something stupid that messes up the car, and insurance won't cover.

I'll probably get the guts to do this soon, but will most pbbly go to a PCA sponsored event.

of course, if there is a car that I can borrow ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #4
Duster

Dave, I'm planning to be there. This will be my first track event and I'll be in the Arctic Silver 986.

- Ray
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:23 AM   #5
davezaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Dave, I'm planning to be there. This will be my first track event and I'll be in the Arctic Silver 986.

- Ray
cool..did you already sign up? Based on the list, i think there is only 1 boxster for the event....is that you? Anyway, i am probably gonna sign up soon...

btw, some of my friend's are race-prepping their cars (e.g. change brake pads, oil, etc.)..are you plannign to do any of that to your 986? I've never tracked my 987 before and since it's only got 1700 miles, i am not sure if it is necessary...just hoping to get a second opinion...
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM   #6
davezaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by akif
I want to, though am not sure I can cough up the money incase I do (or have done to me) something stupid that messes up the car, and insurance won't cover.

I'll probably get the guts to do this soon, but will most pbbly go to a PCA sponsored event.

of course, if there is a car that I can borrow ...
why only PCA sponsored event? is it because it is cheaper or do you think it is more organised and safer? I've never attended a PCA event yet so not sure how it is like...
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM   #7
Docdanracy

Everyone has their favorite groups for one reason or another...
A PCA sponsored event will be Porsche centric with folks in attendance that know your car and the performance you can expect from it and be able to get from it as you learn your car and track driving.
Instructors will be available that are proficient in teaching you the correct driving lines as well as being proficient in your cars capabilities.
I wouldn't want a guy that is driving a Honda Civic or Ford Focus or Corvette teaching me how my car should handle when they have never driven or instructed in a Porsche before (let alone a Boxster)....what the heck do they know about Porsches?
I am sure that other groups are just fine in their own way....I am just biased with PCA events.
Learn your car with GGR-PCA (Zone 7 PCA) events first, then when you have the basics and are comfortable....go with other clubs.

RANT

And my biggest gripe/suggestion......go to several safe and sane autocrosses first to learn the handling capabilities of your car and then graduate to the big track.

Spinning in a parking lot at 50MPH with nothing to hit other than some orange traffic cones is much different than spinning at Laguna Seca at 100+mph and hitting 8,000 pounds of "K" wall

The big track is not the place to learn your car's handling capabilities..

Rant over.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:35 AM   #8
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezaristo
why only PCA sponsored event?
Hi Dave,

I see Dan already answered for me.

I'm a newbie as well. First porsche, a boxster S for about 4 months, 9k miles. I had a similar discussion earlier on this forum, and Dan said the exact same thing. It makes perfect sense to me. Even if I get an instructor who doesn't drive a boxster, at least he'll understand Porsches.

In my case, I really want to push the car and myself, but at the same time, am in no real hurry. Everyone knows/understands the up side - per my understanding the downside is:
  1. No insurance (I checked with my agent) - although you can buy insurance at the track.
  2. Brake wear.
  3. Tire wear.
Personally, I'm thinking of a few options - time will tell which ones happen, and in which order.
  1. Save enough money so that maintenance is not an "ouch".
  2. Attend PDE (Porsche Driving Experience). Not that cheap, but it's a known, finite expense.
  3. Attend BMW school. Cheaper than PDE, though not sure if the experience will come close to PDE.
Slightly off-topic, I visited Laguna Seca today for the LeManns final. First time at the track (notice "at", not "on" ). Interesting experience - the cars are FAST and LOUD (I found it interesting how much slower the cars seemed from the top of the grandstand vs. the bottom). I watched about an hour +. I enjoyed it, though personally, I almost prefer watching on TV so you're not tied down to one spot. There was an accident around turn 10, and #7 (a Porsche) spun out at turn 11 while trying to take the lead - though sitting in the grandstands, couldn't see the accident (I understand no one got hurt), and missed the actual spinout. Did see the #7 straighten out and get going again.

Would love to get some experience and drive on that track.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM   #9
CBoxster

Track

I did Thunderhill last spring with the Diablo PCA and Porsche of Fremont, what a great time that was! I thought I knew how to drive until I got out on the track with an instructor, buy the end of the day (5 track sessions and 5 classroom session) my driving had improved. I liked the idea of driving with fellow P car owners and people who know what the Prosche can do. By the end of the day I was pretty beatup but my car wasn't, at the time my car was only 4 months old. So I say, make your first track day a Porsche track day.
987S
CBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Docdanracy

Ah, I see my work here is done.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing