Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing

Racing Racing Forum - For racing and track day topics and discussions

Old June 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Mdreiver

Track day at Thunderhill in July

The club is NCRC and the URL is www.ncracing.org. It's a well run event so anyone thinking about going should check for open spots and grab one if you still can.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Gerry

I'm still new in AX'ing and so far I'm loving it..how much more if it's on the track...OMG, It's twice the addiction

Is the requirements to participate on this one is way more strickter than AX regulations? I meant, do you have to have a 5 point seat belt harness, extension roll bar and school requirements for the first time?

T.I.A.

PCA/G.G.R. Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...09/4hbv4mc.jpg
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #3
ChrisZang

Track days with PCA

I very much like the PCA events. But they are strictly for Porsches, so I understand why Mdreiver can't go there
PCA events are *very* safe and the instructors are awesome!

The next PCA event in T'Hill is Aug 4/5 you can find all the info here:
http://www.pca-ggr.org/calendar.cgi?page=timetrial and here:
http://www.pca-ggr.org/show.cgi?id=timetrialinfo

I had 4 track days (in two events) so far and I am totally addicted.
In two days you will get about 7 x 20 minutes for a total of about 150 miles on the track.

So far I am only doing drivers Ed (DE), prerequisites are:
* attend ground school
* get your car tech inspected
* helmet
* fire proof gloves
to name the most important pre-requisites.

If you want to move up one league to Time-Trial (TT) you need much more safety equipment, but this is all covered in detail in the two links above.
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #4
Gerry

Okay, Chris...after reading it, I'm overloaded with info..hehehehehe!
Can you walk me thru, please

First, go to Ground School on July 14, right?

Second, go to one of the inspection sites listed and get my car inspected.

Third, register to the Thunderhill as a D.E. only, isn't same as HSDS? I doubt that I might go T/T anytime soon...lots of requirements and no fundings yet

Fourth, How much does it cost? I don't see it in the link you provided or i missed it

Also, is the Aug. 3rd different event from the 4&5 event?

Lastly, are you going?

Let me know if I'm missing something here

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Gerry

Ok, I did call the inspection site and it cost $67.50. Is that right? or there's such thing as free inspection

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Old June 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Gerry

Wohooo! I've talked to Andrew Forrest already and got all the info needed! Hot deng, I'm pretty excited..I'm like a kid in a candy store

now...I need to do fund raising, probably convince our Pastor and few church members that I need this event for complete healing..hahahahahahaha j/k

PCA/G.G.R. Member

Old June 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #7
Mdreiver

In reference to Chris's comment, I drove Pcars for 6 years and never went to a PCA track day. It was just too...erm...parental IMO. There are some clubs which are hooligany (Speedventures, you know who I'm talking about) but I prefer the middle ground.

CFRA, NCRC, and Unlimited Laps are my favs. With any of them, you can drive with nothing but a techsheet and a helmet. You won't need a special rollbar and you won't need harnesses. NCRC does require that newbies start in the beginner group and drive with an instructor. This shouldn't really be a problem. If it's really your first event ever, you should get an instructor. And when you start driving in the Int and Adv groups, you'll really appreciate that all your peers have gone through a testing process. What's really cool about NCRC is that they do try to be fair while also thinking about safety. For instance, they accept a "resume" of other track experience outside their club so you don't have to drive with the slower no-passing group just b/c it's your first event with them.

I forget the rules for the others. It's been a long time since I've done anything. As you can tell, I'm really excited about getting back into it.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #8
ChrisZang

Mdreiver, thanks very good points and my comments were in no way meant to make other organizations look bad.

I am pretty sure that you remember how overwhelming the situation was when your instructor allowed you to solo for the first time. Now you have nobody in the car who's your "second set of eyes" who helps you when you're about to miss:
* the apex
* a flag signal
* a driver behind you
* etc.

So, being a complete rookie with my 4 total track days so far, I am quite happy about the very stringent passing and safety rules in PCA.
My biggest objectives when going to the track are currently safety, followed by fun.

Maybe after another few track days, I'll go with "less parental supervision" and check out one of the other organizations.
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Paralizer

Not to be the person who tries to bring everybody down...but if you've never run Thunderhill in the summer be prepared. I did one event in August, it was 90 plus by 9:00am and triple digits by 10:00am. It really kicks your butt. Even with constant fluid intake the risk of dehydration is very high. For a first timer this isn't always the best time of year to be going out. It adds one extra, very significant, issue to contend with. And really, I'm not trying to spoil the fun. Just a note from Paralizer. Boxster owner, occasional bender of the California vehicle code, track lover, and your friendly local paramedic.

Last edited by Paralizer; June 19th, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Paralizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #10
davezaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralizer
Not to be the person who tries to bring everybody down...but if you've never run Thunderhill in the summer be prepared. I did one event in August, it was 90 plus by 9:00am and triple digits by 10:00am. It really kicks your butt. Even with constant fluid intake the risk of dehydration is very high. For a first timer this isn't always the best time of year to be going out. It adds one extra, very significant, issue to contend with. And really, I'm not trying to spoil the fun. Just a note from Paralizer. Boxster owner, occasional bender of the California vehicle code, track lover, and your friendly local paramedic.
I totally agree..thats one of reasons why i am hesitated to sign up for this...
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Racing