Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
tah

Driver Door Glass Strange Behavior?

I've read a few threads here about this problem but my symptoms are a little different so here goes.........

When I open the Driver door the window will drop the 13mm (per Bentley) and then IMMEDIATELY go back up. The Bentley manual is woefully inadequate on helping with this.

First let me stop anyone who will say "you need to replace the regulator", don't think so. Why? Well the windows drop the appropriate amount when disengaging the top, they both also go up and down just fine. The regulator is doing what it's being "told" to do, when it's told to do it.

In the Bentley this 13mm drop is referred to as "comfort open" & "comfort close"

Here's what I'm thinking.........

The computer is being told the door is opening so it drops the window. Then the computer is being told the door is closed so it raises the window immediately. What I can't figure out (yet) is what tells the computer this. Are there tiny switches in the latch mechanism and one of them is sticking?

I will solve this, but who knows how much time it will take. Anyone with a little more knowledge in this area who can help?

Thanks, Tim
tah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Tom M
Site Founder

I'm suffering from this as well. Although I also have the problem that the alarm indicates a fault with the locking system and I can hear the computer trying to trigger the locking mechanism. In my case it's been diagnosed as a faulty door switch. I can make the window drop again by rapping the door handle a few times - just haven't gotten around to replacing the switch.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #3
tah

Yeah I'm thinking the switch also............

Here's a good site where I found the info I needed....

boxa.net
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM   #4
tah

Anyone know what publication this is?

If I had the next page I'd have the part number on the switch..........
Attached Thumbnails
Door.jpg  
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM   #5
Tom M
Site Founder

Looks like it's from Porsche's electronic parts catalog (aka PET).
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Gear Grinder

Drivers window

On my 987-S I have had some strange things happen with my drivers window. Sometimes when I close the door the window will not close for 10 seconds to several minutes. At other times though very seldom the window will close the 13mm on it's own, but later while driving down the freeway the window must lower on it's own, because you notice the window raises itself and may do that every five minutes or so while driving. It's like the window lowers by itself while driving and then raises it up to close the gap. I womder if the car is posessed?
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #7
tah

996 613 125 00 driver's (left) side
996 613 126 00 passenger's (right) side

Got the switch from Sunset (as well as a few other items), great outfit to deal with.

Followed the door disassembly linked to in this thread

http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

and amazingly enough didn't break anything. Pulled the foam off from behind the handle area and found my switch wires were dangling freely. The new switch wire had two snap in retainers so I had to figure out where they went. Figured it out by finding the old broken ones. A small flat blade screwdriver easily popped the old switch loose and the new one simply snaps into two mount holes. Routed the wiring correctly, plugged into the harness, reassembled the door and done!

I suspect the window going up and down was rubbing on the unattached wiring and introduced an intermittent state.

Anyway, if you're handy at all this is a cheap fix when compared to letting the dealer do the whole assembly. Kind of tight in there, but real easy on the wallet!
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:46 PM   #8
tah

Well the switch wasn't the (entire) problem. Looks like the gremlin's alive and kicking. My problem would disappear for a few days and then just as suddenly reappear. Looks like I installed the switch during one of the good periods and thought it was the fix I was looking for.

Now I don't know where to start, but I do notice this.........

I get different symptoms when operating the interior door release vs the exterior handle.

Also when I was inside the door, I couldn't really see how both handles would activate/deactivate the same switch. Hope someone has been further down this road than me and can shed a little more light...........
Old December 1st, 2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Fixmywindshield.com

Door Glass Problems

There is most likely a bad sensor, the door glass should not come back up immediately perhaps a short, i have personally seen this happen in a mercedees 2 door. and we had to have the computer re-set.

Larry Diesbach
Fixmywindshield.com Spokes Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
I've read a few threads here about this problem but my symptoms are a little different so here goes.........

When I open the Driver door the window will drop the 13mm (per Bentley) and then IMMEDIATELY go back up. The Bentley manual is woefully inadequate on helping with this.

First let me stop anyone who will say "you need to replace the regulator", don't think so. Why? Well the windows drop the appropriate amount when disengaging the top, they both also go up and down just fine. The regulator is doing what it's being "told" to do, when it's told to do it.

In the Bentley this 13mm drop is referred to as "comfort open" & "comfort close"

Here's what I'm thinking.........

The computer is being told the door is opening so it drops the window. Then the computer is being told the door is closed so it raises the window immediately. What I can't figure out (yet) is what tells the computer this. Are there tiny switches in the latch mechanism and one of them is sticking?

I will solve this, but who knows how much time it will take. Anyone with a little more knowledge in this area who can help?

Thanks, Tim
Fixmywindshield.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman