Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #1
Gary Di Mauro

Changing Brake Fluid

I recently read the Babblers article on changing brake fluid and wanted to do this myself. In the article it mentions threading the unit onto the master cylinder reservoir. I never really noticed, but do all cars use the same thread on the reservoir (this seems to convenient to be true), or is this unit specifically designed for Porsche. I would be handy to use it when I bleed the lines after changing the brakes on my wife's car too.
Gary Di Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA)

The Porsche model works on most Euro cars...

You can purchase adapters for other cars. Check out the link below...

Power Bleeders at Livermore Performance
Kevin C. (Saratoga, CA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #3
Gary Di Mauro

Thanks for the info Kevin C. After doing some research on the bleeders, I found an upgraded Motive product called "Black Label" that increases the hose from 2 foot to 5 foot (an annoyance Tom M mentioned in the "Bleeding Your Brakes" article), and a swivel connector to prevent the hose from binding when it is turned. It is $57 at TrackHaus:

http://www.trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/353

They also have a bleeder that they claim to be specific to Porsche. It says "This kit also includes a special pinchoff tool for gently closing the soft vent tube on the master cylinder found on most Porsche vehicles. This is an essential tool used to prevent brake fluid spills during the brake bleeding process". This appears to be the Black Label product with a pinch-off tool and waste collection bottle for $85:

http://www.trackhaus.com/product-exec/product_id/421

Can you guys tell me if the Boxster has this vent tube?
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Tom M
Site Founder

The swivel connector would be nice but is certainly not essential. Same goes for the longer hose on the power bleeder. The hose that really needs to be longer is the one that attaches to the caliper and the clutch slave cylinder and goes into the waste receptacle. Also, there's no vent tube to worry about.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Gary Di Mauro

Thanks Tom. I am going to follow your advice and use the ATE Blue fluid. Seems like it would be difficult to know that the fluid was changed otherwise.

I was kicking around the idea of going to braided brake lines. When I changed my transmission fluid recently, I noticed what looked like rubber brake lines above the transmission. My car has the Stability Management option, would this be related? Makes me wonder if it makes sense to change the lines to braided at the brakes and leave the other hoses rubber. The "Weakest link in the chain" sort of thing. Anyone have thoughts on this, or am I off base with what I think is a brake hose?

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman