Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 6th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1
Viktor

Tire Advice

I will be in the market for tires soon. I have a Boxster with 17 inch wheels. It is not a daily driver and I am planing on attending a few Autocross events this year. Any advice or recommendations?

Last edited by Viktor; January 6th, 2004 at 11:45 PM. Reason: update
Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #2
ar38070

There are a lot of choices. You can of course always go with the Porsche N rated tires (Bridgestone S03, Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental Sport Contact, etc.) If you want to try something inexpensive look at the Kumho 711. They are only H rated so if you plan on spending a lot of time over 130mph then you will need to look elsewhere. I have used Bridgestone S02, and Conti Sport Contact 2's and have no complaints. Lots of people rave about the Michelins.

Other people can chime in on the noise characteristics of the various tires. That has never been an issue for me.

You might want to consider upsizing the front tires from 205/50 to 225/45.

www.tirerack.com has a lot of info on the various makes. I have heard that with the road hazard warranties, mounting, etc. that Costco has the best pricing. Costco however will not mount a non-OEM size (225/45) and at least once I had to rebalance a set of tires that they had "balanced" for me.
ar38070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #3
dougmack

Tire Sizes

Be careful when thinking about moving to a larger size tire - it can bump you up a class when you autocross.

Doug
dougmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #4
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I recently installed a set of Yokahoma EVS 100's. Very reasonable, and so far, very good wet & dry grip and quiet. I ordered mine through www.tirerack.com and had them drop shipped to my installer. It couldn't have been easier!
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #5
yoseif

Another vote for tirerack.com. Great price, great service, and an easy to use website.

I had mine shipped to Custom Alignment in Mtn. View.
yoseif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM   #6
ar38070

Rule changes this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmack
Be careful when thinking about moving to a larger size tire - it can bump you up a class when you autocross.

Doug
Not with the rule changes this year.

http://www.pca-ggr.org/2004ruleschanges.html
ar38070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #7
Dave986

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos
I recently installed a set of Yokahoma EVS 100's. Very reasonable, and so far, very good wet & dry grip and quiet. I ordered mine through www.tirerack.com and had them drop shipped to my installer. It couldn't have been easier!

I'll second the motion of the Yoko EVS 100's I'm running 17's and they are a fanstatic tire. Have not AX them yet, but have done one day on the track and was VERY pleased!
Dave986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #8
frenchy

If you want to start AutoX go cheap....Kumho

I started autoX last year and destroyed a set of P zero (I had to come back using my spre tire). I ended up in a lot of spinn at the autoX school.

The Kumho are prety cheap (for 17") 400$ for the tires (tirerack) and 100$ to get them installed.Then if you really like auto X, buy a set of rim exclusively for autoX and buy some R compound

Jean
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #9
Viktor

New tires

Thanks for your thoughtful advice or recommendations!!!!
Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman