Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1
bretskyg@aol.com

Tonneau Cover

Anyone out there know a source for a tonneau cover other than from Porsche. I had a great on for my Ferrari 355 Spyder made from rip stop fabric. It was less than $100 dollars but I do not remember where I got it from.
bretskyg@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
mikefocke

Warning that to install one

you have to put holes in the body in order to attach the fasteners. Use anti-rust after drilling.

The Porsche ones are sometimes available unused from owners who have bought them and received the instructions for installation and had second thoughts.

Here is a typical thread on the subject http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...over-sale.html
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

As Mike said, it's not for the faint of heart but is definitely a DIY if you are up to it.

As I recall I paid $100 for my tonneau cover on a clearance sale and found the installation templates online. I used glue for the Velcro tabs and a leather hole punch to cut the canvas to install the snaps. The hardest part for me, at least emotionally, was drilling the middle catch i the dash as that was a "no going back" step.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3056.jpg   IMG_3030.jpg   IMG_2586.jpg  
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:27 AM   #4
davimack

Tom, am just about to start installing my Tonneau cover! You mention that you used Velcro. Where abouts did you use it, please? Have the same fear of drilling my car. Any hints, please?!
davimack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM   #5
RNajarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
you have to put holes in the body in order to attach the fasteners. Use anti-rust after drilling.

The Porsche ones are sometimes available unused from owners who have bought them and received the instructions for installation and had second thoughts.

Here is a typical thread on the subject http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...over-sale.html
Hahaha. Yea that was me, and EXACTLY as Mike described I had second thoughts drilling into my car and I didn't think I would like seeing the snaps on the car when the cover was not in place.
1975 911 Targa Guards Red
1983 911 SC Guards Red (RIP)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #6
mikefocke

I had one on at least one of my Alfa Spyders back in the '70s. I recall driving in the snow, top down, tonneau on and heater blowing enough to keep me warm. Obviously when I was young and foolish.

Can't say I've even seen one on any modern ragtop in the last few years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 04:47 AM   #7
CARiDcom

You can make on order at any local interior shop.
CARiDcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #8
okinawa986

PORSCHE Boxster 986 SOFT TOP ROOF PROTECTOR HALF COVER - 1997 to 2002

They may have what you seek...Price Dropped to $79+Shipping!

High recommendation from an experienced and discerning forum member. I just ordered one on the same recommendation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1517956...&ul_noapp=true

v/r
Mitchell

Last edited by okinawa986; July 25th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
okinawa986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman