Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:52 PM   #1
Jim in Menlo Park

A cautionary tale about the CD changer install (long)

After having so much fun and success at the OBC hack party on the 19th I was emboldened to try installing the Becker CD changer.

So yesterday I installed the Becker 6 disc CD changer in my '01 S with PSM. I used Gary Samad's and Tom Morris's installation instructions (links below) and the installation went reasonable smoothly. Very helpful instructions, thanks Gary and Tom. In the end the CD changer worked perfectly. However, I didn't take the car for a test drive.

Unfortunately, when I backed the car out to drive to work this morning I noticed that the "brake fluid" light was on, and shortly after that the "psm off" light came on. Hmmm. I knew what the problem was immediately.

To install the small clips that hold the bottom of the CD changer mounting bracket, I removed the fairing that protects the psm tubing which runs from the right side of the front trunk to the left side. In replacing that fairing I evidently pushed it against the brake fluid level sensor on the brake fluid reservoir with enough force to damage the sensor.

So the caution for those of you with PSM is to be very careful when you reinstall that fairing.

My local dealer said that the sensor isn't available separately and must be purchased as part of the brake fluid reservoir. Ack! What a hassle that job would be. Not being the trusting type I got out my magnifying glass and examined the switch/reservoir interface very carefully. Turns out there is a tiny latch that, once depressed, releases the sensor which slides smoothly out of the reservoir. The part number is conveniently stamped on the part: 996.355.125.01. Hopefully it will be orderable.

That sensor is a mystery to me. Does anyone know how it works? It is a sealed unit with no contact with the brake fluid. Maybe it responds to a magnet in the reservoir that moves with the level.

(To also be posted on PPBB.)

Those links:
http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/cdchanger/cdchanger.html
http://boxsters.addr.com/hacks/cd_changer.htm

-jim
Old May 29th, 2001, 09:59 PM   #2
Magic Mtn Dan

Sorry to hear about your problem...

you could have taken it to the dealer under warranty (still can). If you can't get the answers you're looking for, let me know - I'm pretty sure I can help you.
Old May 30th, 2001, 11:29 PM   #3
Jim in Menlo Park

Re: Sorry to hear about your problem...

Thanks Dan, but the part is only $8.00 and should be in by Friday. If I screwed up more than just that part you may be hearing from me...

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman