Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM   #1
messy_stench

Question Boxster Hardtop Options?

i'm a near future boxster owner and have been looking into hardtop options. these are what i've found and was hoping you guys can expand on this list.

1. Porsche
of course, the porsche hardtop, which, in my opinion, is not that nice looking:

2. The Hardtop Company
a hardtop manufacturer in the united kingdom, which is not that different than the porsche hardtop, just extends a bit further to the rear taillight:

http://www.boxster-hardtop.co.uk

3. Zeintec
a hardtop manufacturer in switzerland that makes a sleek hatchback design, turning the car into a strange boxster/cayman mutant. i love it, but for $5,000 it's a bit much for me. they've got distributors in the states, so it's the best option so far:

http://www.zeintec-usa.com/

so there ya go... let me know if you've had success/failure with any of these and if you can tell me of other options for hardtops.

THANKS!!
messy_stench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Lot's of folks have the OEM hardtop and I don't think you'll find many complaints.

I know a poster over on PPBB, BruinBro that has the Zeintec and last I saw, he liked it. It is a far more complicated process and involves removing the rear trunk lid and possibly even the top canvas and frame (don't quote me, that may have been done for weight reduction)

In my opinion, if you're gonna spend all the money, time and effort for a Zeintec to make your car look like a Cayman, why not just buy a Cayman?
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3
patienttype

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos View Post
Lot's of folks have the OEM hardtop and I don't think you'll find many complaints.

I know a poster over on PPBB, BruinBro that has the Zeintec and last I saw, he liked it. It is a far more complicated process and involves removing the rear trunk lid and possibly even the top canvas and frame (don't quote me, that may have been done for weight reduction)

In my opinion, if you're gonna spend all the money, time and effort for a Zeintec to make your car look like a Cayman, why not just buy a Cayman?
Well, I'm not shelling out the $5 grand for the Zeintec so I may be talking through my hat ... but its a great looking top. By buying the Zeintec you get the looks and solid roof of the Cayman all Winter and can have your rag top back in the Summer. Best of both worlds?
patienttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
The Voxster

FWIW, I've always been a HUGE fan of the Zeintop and, like you, I've always been hugely unimpressed by the OE hardtops.

IF I were ever to get a hard top, it would be the Zeintop for sure. Fit and finish is reputed to be excellent from the small number of people I've talked to that have them (in spite of what some of the complainers about "the lines" and "the body gaps" say--and there are plenty of complainers about the Zeintop haha)

That said, Zeintec does have some "WTF...?"-type and/or outright STUPID products that sorta throw a shadow of questionability on a top-dollar/quality product like the Zeintop.

Not sure why they would resort to something so idiotic as the Zeinvent, but I DO like the Zeinwing product as well. Not sure any of this opinion-chucking I'm doing is helpful at all, but you're not alone out there. I find that second picture from the top place in the UK truly frightening as well.

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #5
boxs2000

The Zeintop looks nice, but for 5k is not very practical. I had a hardtop for my car and used it maybe 3 times in the 4+ years I have owned my car. I guess if your car is your daily driver, it would be justified, but then again 5k could buy you a nice beater car...looks good though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Nicholas

Location: Bavaria - land of Bratwurst, Bier and pedal-to-the-metal Autobahns
I consider the Boxster Hardtop the best bang-for-the-buck accessory/option I bought with the car. Course, living in Germany, it REALLY comes in handy from November - March (driving, cleaning, garaging...you name it) Besides, I get more oohs and ahs when I have the hardtop on than with the ragtop up (but not more than when the top is DOWN au naturelle ) Besides, for pedal-to-the-metal driving at 220+ kph on the autobahn here, the noise with the ragtop is off-the-top compared to with the hardtop.
Nice engineering on the Zeintop and Zeinwing "hatchback," but you couldn't pay me to don the U.K. version - ugh!

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.