Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old May 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM   #1
2000S GR

4K trip over 2 weeks - any advice

Will be taking a 2 week round trip from California to the mid west. We are leaving on June 1. The car has been serviced and the tires are good. Any adivce on what to take along in case of an emergency or just good to have on a long road trip.

Thanks
2000S GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
baxter

I like to take my battery powered compressor to put air in a tire if I pick up a nail. Saved me once. Once was enough...........
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
offshore

Snacks, lots of snacks. Cheetos, trail mix, fruit, HoHos and sunscreen if you plan on having the top down. Have fun sounds like a great trip.
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:13 PM   #4
cas951

I've done two road trips in the Box so far. 1st was to Flagstaff, Az and the 2nd to SLC last summer. Spent a week in each location and about 3k miles round trip for each trip. Here's a list of what I brought with me.
1. Radar detector - Those long strecth of highway is tempting and urging you to floor it when the roads are empty and nothing in sight. Saved me a few times.
2. Air Compressor and a tire patch kit - plug type. You never know when you need this. Make sure you have your jack that works, Lug wrench and lock. Also a pair of pliers with a cutter. Need this if you have a nail on the tire. Make sure you're able to loosen the lug nuts before you leave. These tend to be too tight when they are installed. I would loosen them and torque them to spec before leaving. This way you know they are set correctly and you will be able to break it loose when you need to using the lug wrench that comes with the car.
3. 2 bottles of oil.
4. Lot's of bottled water - this you can always pick up anywhere but make sure you have a few.

Which route are you taking? Hwy 80 past Reno sure is tempting to speed. Hwy 40 past Barstow is free and clear. "Radar Detector" is your friend and get to know what KA band stand for.
Some modifications

The rest of the stable:
2001 Lexus ES 300
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
1991 Honda CRX
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I replaced my Serpentine belt at 90k and keep the old one in my trunk. You may want to pick up an extra one and throw in a wrench and the appropriate socket. It's an easy fix, but if your get stuck in a Podunk town and they don't have the belt in stock, you may get stranded. Safe travels!
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Oops, just realized you already left.
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Quad

boxster trip

Mine has been all over the place. Bought it in Indy, Live in Cinti, Been driven to Florida, also length of RT 66. Up thru Colorado, A later trip to Quebec. For the most part a very dependable car. My problem now is the central locking system has gone haywire. I have the Pelican 101 projects book and the Boxster book from that Boston Publisher. After a repeated attempt to follow circuitry and also door switches, I might have to call out "Uncle" and schedule it with the local stealer to use the Porsche tester on it. Will have to try replacing the top soon as well as my plastic window cracked.

Good luck on your trip. Snacks rule and a small toolkit and a water jug are a good suggestion. Remember cell phones only work occasionally due to lack of service.

Alan
Cincinnati
Quad is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman