Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM   #1
boglea

1997 BOXSTER v 2007 BOXSTER Purchase

Best Wishes to Fellow Babblers

This is my first posting as a Babbler. I am purchasing a Boxster for my wife and am looking at either a 1997 (Basic) model with 27,000 miles on it or a 2007 (Basic) with 58,000 miles. I will have both cars inspected by qualified mechanics. The 2007 will cost approximately 2X the cost of the 1997 model. I can afford either one, but I am too Scots to pay for a new one. Assuming both cars pass muster with the mechanic, any recommendations on which one I should buy?

Thanks
Aubrey
boglea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglea View Post
Best Wishes to Fellow Babblers

This is my first posting as a Babbler. I am purchasing a Boxster for my wife and am looking at either a 1997 (Basic) model with 27,000 miles on it or a 2007 (Basic) with 58,000 miles. I will have both cars inspected by qualified mechanics. The 2007 will cost approximately 2X the cost of the 1997 model. I can afford either one, but I am too Scots to pay for a new one. Assuming both cars pass muster with the mechanic, any recommendations on which one I should buy?

Thanks
Aubrey
I think you should buy her my 1999 Tiptronic.
1999 Boxster For Sale - The Babblers
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #3
baxter

i am sure many will disagree with this, but the interior of the 987 is much more comfortable than the 986. additionally there will be a considerable difference in hp between the two models, even though they are both base models. finally, belts, hoses, seals, etc. tend to wear out and decompose over time, making the '97 model more risky in my humble opinion. having said all that, i know many here will tell you they prefer the 986 to the 987, so all is a matter of opinion. btw, the 981 has been touted as the best car ever, especially the cayman, and the latest j.d. powers survey rates porsche #1.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #4
boglea

Ron's Boxter for Sale

Ron

Thank you for your reply. I am relatively new to Porsche, but even I can tell you have done an impressive job maintaining and upgrading your Boxster. This will be my wife's car, and will replace a five speed Celica that she dearly loves, but is about due for replacement. She enjoys the stick shift very much. The 2011 Mercedes auto which she also drives as a "family sedan" doesn't compare.

I am open minded (and she may also be); Let me know what you think.

Regards
Aubrey Bogle

PS The car will also need to be shipped to Albuquerque, where or home is located.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM   #5
boglea

Baxter

Precisely the thoughts I had about the choice. However, I expect there will be more immediate preventative maintenance with the 2007. Nevertheless, I won't be pound wise and pound foolish. I am a Porsche Neophyte.

Best
Aubrey
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boglea View Post
Ron

Thank you for your reply. I am relatively new to Porsche, but even I can tell you have done an impressive job maintaining and upgrading your Boxster. This will be my wife's car, and will replace a five speed Celica that she dearly loves, but is about due for replacement. She enjoys the stick shift very much. The 2011 Mercedes auto which she also drives as a "family sedan" doesn't compare.

I am open minded (and she may also be); Let me know what you think.

Regards
Aubrey Bogle

PS The car will also need to be shipped to Albuquerque, where or home is located.
The Tiptronic has two modes "D" and "M." The "M" mode shifts using paddles built into the steering wheel and acts like a stick except you are shifting clutch less. The control module for the tip has a logic chip and adapts to your driving style in "D". If you want to putt around town the module figures that out and will shift into 5th gear as quickly as possible. If you start getting on it the module adapts and allows the car to accelerate right up to red line. I always drive in "M" as the car takes on a more aggressive character and also has a fail safe so the car will shift itself before it goes over red line.
Most of my cars have been sticks but after driving Porsche's Tip if I ever get another Porsche it will be a PDK.
You would have to arrange shipping to your location but if you decide on a 986 over a 987 you'll be hard pressed to find a better 986. The early one's 97-99 are the closest body style to the original concept Boxster and although not as fast or as roomy have a better sounding exhaust note and are just as fun to drive. My friends with 987's are faster on the straights but I have no problem keeping up on the twisties and in AX.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
boglea

Ron

Thanks.

Aubrey
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #8
mikefocke

The general feeling has been that a car needs exercise and 27k miles over 16 years is pretty marginal and means lots of times when the car was started and oil wasn't benefiting the slip-slidey of parts moving against each other. There were also issues specific to the first year of the Boxster that aren't present in the 2007.

In either case, get a Pre-Purchase Inspection by the Porsche mechanic you will be using as that will tell you what you'll have to spend to get it in tip-top shape for the next 15k miles. And budget at least $1000 for the major service on both cars unless you are going to do it yourself or it has just been done (both are just old enough I'd be doing the 90k service as it is the most comprehensive). When I bought my second Boxster, it really didn't have much wrong that the PPI disclosed other than wear items but it still cost me around $2,500 for tires, complete brakes and the major service items. Once that was done, it was wonderfully reliable and cheap to maintain. (I too could have bought new but figured I could get happy with spending less and time and experience proved me right. Both mine were 2 owners before me cars.)

Don't be scared of those $ numbers but use the PPI findings shared with the owner and the costs to get it in shape as bargaining items on what you pay for the car you want.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman