Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM   #1
karwos1954

Angry Check engine light reset

Okay I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster with 59000 plus miles on it. Shortly after it went over 60000 the check engine light came on. I assumed it was for the 60000 mile service. So as not to have to stare at that light until I could get it in for service I checked this forum to see how to reset it. One option was to disconnect the battery and reconnect it. That worked, the light turned off, but later after I went to drive it for the fist time after doing so the car almost immediately started sputtering and running rough and the check engine light was now flashing. The car was running fine prior to this, is this something Porsche does so people don't reset the light or is there a serious problem?
karwos1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #2
baxter

you have a problem. don't drive it if the light is flashing.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwos1954 View Post
Okay I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster with 59000 plus miles on it. Shortly after it went over 60000 the check engine light came on. I assumed it was for the 60000 mile service. So as not to have to stare at that light until I could get it in for service I checked this forum to see how to reset it. One option was to disconnect the battery and reconnect it. That worked, the light turned off, but later after I went to drive it for the fist time after doing so the car almost immediately started sputtering and running rough and the check engine light was now flashing. The car was running fine prior to this, is this something Porsche does so people don't reset the light or is there a serious problem?
Bad move for a couple reasons; the CEL was trying to tell you what was wrong, so instead you erased it without first finding out what the problem(s) were. Porsche does not use the CEL as a service reminder, it has as separate display on cars so equipped.

A steady CEL indicates a problem; a flashing CEL is a serious problem and the car should not be driven, even to get it to a dealer (flatbed it).
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
karwos1954

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Bad move for a couple reasons; the CEL was trying to tell you what was wrong, so instead you erased it without first finding out what the problem(s) were. Porsche does not use the CEL as a service reminder, it has as separate display on cars so equipped.

A steady CEL indicates a problem; a flashing CEL is a serious problem and the car should not be driven, even to get it to a dealer (flatbed it).
Yeah, had it towed in, turns out it was a defective ignition coil, and they of course recommended replacing all 6. Going to cost close to a grand. Not something I expected, just purchasing the car.
karwos1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
mcomet

Welcome to the joy of pre owned Porsches. Heh. You never know when something will hit and at that mileage probably will. I was going to ask if you ar in the Bay Area and if it is yellow? I had a 03 S I recently sold to a small dealer in prep for a new Cayman S I ordered. It was right around that mileage and looks like it is sold...so I wonder if you got my old car...heh.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwos1954 View Post
Yeah, had it towed in, turns out it was a defective ignition coil, and they of course recommended replacing all 6. Going to cost close to a grand. Not something I expected, just purchasing the car.
Of course they will recommend replacing all of them it's how they make money. It is your car and you should be telling them what you want done. Find yourself a good indy that will work with you and not just go for your gold every time.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Tom M
Site Founder

If you are handy then replacing the coils is definitely a DIY job and they can be found for about $40 each online. This assumes you haven't already spend the grand on having the dealer do the work.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #8
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I would have the dealer replace no more that the one indicated as failing. I had the same problem at ~100k, cyl.6 coil failed. I ordered on line and replaced it myself. If you are the least bit mechanical, it is just as simple as changing the spark plug. Once you remove the coil, there is a wire harness with a clip, unclip, replace, reclip, done!

A few miles later, a second coil failed. at that point I bought 5 and replaced them all. $250 beats $1000 everyday! Good luck.

You don't mention your location, but if you're in the SF Bay Area and not mechanical, it's worth a trip see Alden at Flintworks as many of the folks on this site will attest.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.