Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #1
JamesBorisPerez

2003 Boxster S 6 Speed Will Not Go Into Gear

I've had my Boxster for about 4 years, the car was running great (117K Miles) last time I drove it, no problems at all. I went to move it and it would not go into reverse. I drove it around a bit, and by the time I got home it will not go into any gear. Replaced the master and slave clutch cylinder, same problem. Cables to the transaxle are fine. I really like this car, but I put it up on Craigslist as is. I'm thinking it may be the clutch. One person interested in the car said the rear bearing leaked and ruined the clutch.

Question: I work on my own cars but is performing a clutch/RMS on my own out of the question?

Question: Is there a good, reasonable shop in S.F. / or person that will do this work for me?
JamesBorisPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #2
offshore

There used to be a "Forums" link in the header bar here where there was a commercial setting listing some of the recommended businesses in the Bay area but this site has changed and I can't find it.
Flintworks in Campbell has been the repair shop of choice on this site so you might contact Alden Flint. I've used him in the past and highly recommend him.
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
RaisedOnPorsches

I had Alden at Flintworks replace my clutch/RMS/IMS Bearing all at once. I will happily perform minor repairs on my own Boxster, but I'd leave the heavier/harder work like clutch replacement to the professionals.

If you're having your clutch replaced, then you ought to have the RMS and IMSB dealt with too (most of the labor is shared). Expect to spend somewhere around $3000 all together for this work. I know it is painful to invest that much in repair costs when the resale market on Boxsters has pretty well bottomed out (especially for earlier years), but I think you'd still come out ahead with the repair costs rather than selling your ride in non-operational condition, purchasing a newer one at a premium, and paying for Taxes, Title and Registration.

2003-2004 Boxster S are great cars well worth holding onto in my opinion.

P.S. My work was done quite a while ago, so I wouldn't use my estimated cost as a benchmark. Give Alden a call and tell him you're on the Babbler forum. He's a very reasonable guy.
Sport Package
Hard Top
Roof Transport System
Speedster Humps

http://www.iwirep.com/wp-content/the...3f-xtsmall.png
iWireP: iPod Connector Cables for 986/996
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Tags
clutch, for sale, rms, shifting

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.