Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1
auuurrrgh

Cel - P0430

01 Boxster 2.7L 86k miles

Over the last 6 months or so I have been getting the P0430 (TWC conversion, cyl. 4 - 6) code on and off. There are never any other codes in the system. It looks like I am going to have to replace my catalytic converter.

1. Is this code for the warm-up catalytic converter or the main catalytic converter?

2. Where is the best place to look for a replacement? The only ones I can find online are the 49 state legal benchmarks found here

Thanks in advance!
auuurrrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

I know the emission system has a longer warranty than the standard 5yr/50k mi, but I don't recall if it's long enough to cover an '01. Check the manual, or call the dealer before pulling the trigger on a Cat purchase.
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #3
akif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - San Carlos View Post
I know the emission system has a longer warranty than the standard 5yr/50k mi, but I don't recall if it's long enough to cover an '01. Check the manual, or call the dealer before pulling the trigger on a Cat purchase.
I heard 8 years/80k recently.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3306/...9daf3a22_t.jpg
Photo Blog My Boxster/Babblers' Photos
Babblers Photos on Flickr
akif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #4
auuurrrgh

He's right. I was at the dealer and they volunteered that it would be $2k+ to change it. Looking back I wish I had asked them which of the two needed to be replaced.
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #5
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auuurrrgh View Post
01 Boxster 2.7L 86k miles

Over the last 6 months or so I have been getting the P0430 (TWC conversion, cyl. 4 - 6) code on and off. There are never any other codes in the system. It looks like I am going to have to replace my catalytic converter.

1. Is this code for the warm-up catalytic converter or the main catalytic converter?

2. Where is the best place to look for a replacement? The only ones I can find online are the 49 state legal benchmarks found here

Thanks in advance!
Be absolutely certain you need a new cat as they rarely fail unless your car has been dumping raw fuel into them for some reason. Porsche codes, especially emission codes, can drive you to insanity trying to figure out what is specifically wrong and is one reason dealers, and some independents, have a field day replacing entire systems (at your expense) instead of tracking down the specific problem. My recent go around, with emission codes, taught me to get the advice of several shops as I got system replacement costs of $800-3000 and it turned out to be a twenty five cent hose that had a hole in it.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #6
mikefocke

Depends on the state. CA is different. This guy lives in UT.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7
auuurrrgh

Clogged Air Filter

So I feel a little foolish, but I'm posting the solution in hopes it might help someone else.

I've driven more than 300 miles without throwing the cat efficiency code. It turns out my air filter was clogged. I really should have checked it sooner. Apparently the previous owner liked spitting sunflower seeds out the driver's side window.

The dealer told me I needed a new cat and was more than happy to replace it for me. I found the real problem and saved myself $2k in unnecessary repairs.
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #8
james

So how big did the sun flowers get
"While driving my Boxster on twisty roads for hours is absolutely no replacement for spending quality time with my wife and family, it is at least why I keep my Boxster." copyright 2008 James E. Smith IV
james is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman