Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM   #11
dedes

Lew Bracker, a successful west coast racer in the mid 1950's drove a Porsche Speedster #113. He was good friends with James Dean.

MESSAGE FROM Lew Bracker
June 23, 2010 at 10:01am
Re: Need Answer To Porsche Trivia Question
I can't recall any top driver with that number. Both Jimmy and I wanted #13 but both the Cal Club and the SCCA would not allow a car to race with #13 (how provincial) so I took #113 and Jimmy drove with #131.

Picture was taken at Pomona in October 1956. In the back is Lew Bracker's Porsche Speedster (No. 113).

Carrera Speedster (82833) Provenance by Jeff Gamble
http://pcasar.com/history/Gamblespeedster.html
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM   #12
offshore

Ok I just got some more hints.
The driver in question died early and therefor never reached his potential that others thought he would.
He only raced in California.
The number is significant because of who he was not the car.
Unless James Dean raced under another number than #130 (my number assigned to me by GGR by the way) it couldn't have been him and I can't think of anyone else who died early in their racing career.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #13
offshore

Found it thanks to Keoni986 at the Boxster register. Never seen this photo of JD.
Attached Thumbnails
303l3k3.jpg  
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #14
dedes

Lee Raskin message

My email conversation with Lew Bracker and Lee Raskin

Lew Bracker

I can't recall any top driver with that number. Both Jimmy and I wanted #13 but both the Cal Club and the SCCA would not allow a car to race with #13 (how provincial) so I took #113 and Jimmy drove with #131.

Message from Lee Raskin - Porsche Historian, James Dean at Speed

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:21pm
A pix of James Dean driving #33 at Santa Barbara, Memorial Day Weekend is found in James Dean At Speed. Photo was taken just before Jimmy blew a piston by overreving his engine on a down shift after he spun into some hay bales. Note by the pix in the book...Dean's #33 has a nice crease on the right rear fender from some metal to metal contact!

Dede...for the record, Porsche introduced the Speedster for the 1954 production year. First race was at Torrey Pines in 1954. Lee Raskin, author James Dean At Speed.

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:15pm
Hi..wanted to chime in Lew, et al. The 'provisional' race numbers James Dean took as a CSSC rookie were 23 at Palm Springs, 3/55, 123 at Bakersfield, 5/55; 33 at Santa Barbara 5/55 (DNF); and 131 at Santa Barbara, 9/55 ( DNS). Jimmy applied for SCCA membership for the Salinas Road Races 10/1/55 in his new 550 Spyder with the provisional number of 130. A lot of folks speculate why Jimmy chose the number 3 in all his provisional race numbers.

It wasn't until I was writing James Dean At Speed and was at the Fairmount Historical Museum that I realized that Jimmy's Fairmount HS basketball numbers were 3 for JV and 13 for Varsity. How's that for some trivia. More can be found in James Dean At Speed, 2005. On ebay and Amazon Inscribed and signed by the author, thats' me...Lee Raskin

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:27pm
I am away on the road....but found a pix on my archives file...a very rare image of JD having just loaded the DNF #33 at Santa Barbara, 5/55 onto a transporter.

Photo credit to Frank Worth.
Under copyright by CMG, Worldwide, Indianapolis, IN.
Lee Raskin, Author, James Dean At Speed, 2005 on Ebay and Amazon

Lee Raskin
June 23 at 4:59pm Reply

Correction..had to text a JD book owner for the answer to Lew's answer. Sorry Lew....too confusing. But yes you were #113 in the former James Dean Speedster and your black Carrera Speedster with weber carbs!

Santa Barbara race #2 Sept. Labor Day, 1955. Lew was registered as #232 and was his initial race. James Dean was not #131 as Lew recalled, but #233. JD's provisional races numbers were #23, 123, 33, 133, and 130. Verified!

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:33pm
Dede...away in Motown at Ford Museum for a few days on business. Answered your question along with a pix I had on my computer file ..unpublished of #33 on the transporter at Santa Barbara 5/55 as a DNF. Lee

Last edited by dedes; June 23rd, 2010 at 07:52 PM.
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #15
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedes View Post
My email conversation with Lew Bracker and Lee Raskin

Lew Bracker

Message from Lee Raskin - Porsche Historian, James Dean at Speed

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:21pm
A pix of James Dean driving #33 at Santa Barbara, Memorial Day Weekend is found in James Dean At Speed. Photo was taken just before Jimmy blew a piston by overreving his engine on a down shift after he spun into some hay bales. Note by the pix in the book...Dean's #33 has a nice crease on the right rear fender from some metal to metal contact! Dede...for the record, Porsche introduced the Speedster for the 1954 production year. First race was at Torrey Pines in 1954. Lee Raskin, author James Dean At Speed.

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:15pm
Hi..wanted to chime in Lew, et al. The 'provisional' race numbers James Dean took as a CSSC rookie were 23 at Palm Springs, 3/55, 123 at Bakersfield, 5/55; 33 at Santa Barbara 5/55 (DNF); and 131 at Santa Barbara, 9/55 ( DNS). Jimmy applied for SCCA membership for the Salinas Road Races 10/1/55 in his new 550 Spyder with the provisional number of 130. A lot of folks speculate why Jimmy chose the number 3 in all his provisional race numbers. It wasn't until I was writing James Dean At Speed and was at the Fairmount Historical Museum that I realised that Jimmy's Fairmount HS baskeball numbers were 3 for JV and 13 for Varsity. How's that for some trivia. More can be found in James Dean At Speed, 2005. On ebay and Amazon Inscribed and signed by the author, thats' me...Lee Raskin

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:27pm
I am away on the road....but found a pix on my archives file...a very rare image of JD having just loaded the DNF #33 at Santa Barbara, 5/55 onto a transporter. Photo credit to Frank Worth. Under copyright by CMG, Worldwide, Indianapolis, IN. Lee Raskin, Author, James Dean At Speed, 2005 on Ebay and Amazon

Lee Raskin
June 23, 2010 at 7:33pm
Dede...away in Motown at Ford Museum for a few days on business. Answered your question along with a pix I had on my computer file ..unpublished of #33 on the transporter at Santa Barbara 5/55 as a DNF. Lee
Thanks Dede, Lew and Lee for the trivia on JD. I had never seen that picture before it must be a rare one.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.