Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk

Car Talk For topics and discussions about all makes and models

Old July 11th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
cmg0110

Instrument Cluster Failure - Second Time!

2003 Carrera 4 Cabriolet - 62,000 miles

Greetings:

I have experienced the failure of the instrument cluster for the second time in one week. Original cluster failed during routine driving. All gauges froze, dash lights failed, numerous warnings, etc. Diagnosed by independent Porsche mechanic & confirmed by speedo shop as unrepairable.

I purchased a used cluster with only 66 miles on the unit from a reputable Porsche parts dismantler and had it programmed, mileage adjusted and installed by Rector Porsche, Burlingame.

Two days ago, the dash lights failed and yesterday the newly installed cluster failed, experiencing the same symptoms as the original unit. This is with less than 50 miles driven with the new cluster.

Has anyone experienced the same catastrophic failure multiple times with their instrument cluster? Is there some electrical gremlin that causes the unit to experience what must be an electrical short that fries the circuit board?

Porsche USA has been no help in this matter, so I am reaching out to the Porsche community as I donít wish to spend a considerable amount of money and time to have this repeated again.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris Stocker
cmg0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
ppbon

Obviously...

... the problem is not the cluster.
You may have an issue with the wiring harness which may have an intermittent grounding or similar.
Those are the toughest problems to diagnose and repair.
Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Car Talk