Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 5th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #21
offshore

Sounds like fun Dedes but so does opening up my 986 on an Infineon straightaway. Post some pics for us when you can.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #22
ChrisZang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
some do, and others watch....

Man, I am counting the days/hours/minutes ....
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #23
offshore

Track Tips

Chris and Doc do you guys that have run Infineon have any tips for the new drivers besides stay out of your way?
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #24
dedes

Have fun at Infineon, great track....be sure to take pics too.
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #25
ChrisZang

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Chris and Doc do you guys that have run Infineon have any tips for the new drivers besides stay out of your way?
Hi,

you are asking
a) an instructor with 15+ years of experience as an instructor alone (Dan)
b) a semi-rookie with around 20 days of track day experience in T'Hill / Laguna / B'Willow, but still a "never driven at Infineon" rookie (me)

So here's how I (the semi-rookie) prepared for Infineon, but maybe you should wait for Dan's response...
a) I diligently read the turn by turn instructions on the PCA-GGR web-page
b) I looked at Trygve's in-car video on "Bombay Digital" A LOT (the also really great in car videos from GrantSFO have unfortunately disappeared from YouTube)
c) I drove 50+ (simulated) laps in Infineon on iracing.com which IMHO is the finest racing simulator there is, so at least I won't be surprised by the next turn and I have a rough idea about where the apex / turn in point / brake point etc is for each turn. I did not want to drive more than that so that I don't start memorizing the track in the wrong (simulated) car
d) I will not try to set a new lap record as I am pretty sure the Ferrari F1 scouts won't be at Infineon this weekend
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #26
Docdanracy

good input Chris..

my biggest point for Sears (Infineon) is to take your time and increase your speed only as you become more comfortable and familiar with the corners and the layout.
Sears is a very unforgiving track, even after all the changes that have been made in the last 5-7 years. From turn 7 to turn 11 is all very high speed and the tendency is to overdrive this area for newbies...the Ss (turn 8) eats cars on a regular basis for drivers that get too aggressive too soon.

Take the track one turn at a time, learn the nuances and increase your speed accordingly. LISTEN to your instructor and do EXACTLY what he or she tells you to do... They are there for a reason. To help you learn the track, to have fun and to stay SAFE.
Think about this....your instructor is getting into a car with someone that they have no knowledge of, and letting you drive your car on one of the most famous tracks in the world. They have no steering wheel, no brake pedal and other than voice and hand signals have absolutely no control of the car.
Be smart, be safe and take Sears very cautiously.

Now with that all being said, Sears was the first track I ever put a hot lap in a Porsche on track...as long as you listen, observe and do as you are instructed, you will be fine.

This is serious stuff, it is fun, but very very serious.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #27
TI (Alameda)

a couple of comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
Hi,
b) I looked at Trygve's in-car video on "Bombay Digital" A LOT ...
By the way, you can find the video here:
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/tracks/
(Select the one labeled "2.53-mile course (longer turn 7)" because it is much newer and much higher quality. The other one is from 2000 (!) before they remodeled the entire track, so things look a lot different now. Kind of interesting to compare, actually.)

1. The video is from a race, and so:
a) I overdrove Turn 2 and had to turn the wheel longer, and stay off the throttle longer, than would be preferable.
b) My line through the carousel (Turn 6) is just a bit "defensive". You can't see what's in my mirrors. Normally you would not hug the inside so early.

2. Not sure how Turn 7 will be configured for the time trial, but most likely it will be the shorter version (not this one, which uses the longer, far "jug handle" apex curb). Also, don't try to mimic my exact line through Turn 7, that's the one corner that never feels like I nailed it; it can be done much better.

I agree with Dan's and Chris' recommendations for driving Infineon the first time. I would add:
- Really learn the braking and turn-in points for the blind apexes at Turn 2 and Turn 3a. You want to know exactly where to turn so that you can hit the apex every time, and so that when you hit the apex you know there is track where you are headed but can't yet see.
- Incrementally work your way up to speed through the esses (T8 area). Get ahead of the turns ("anticipate") so you aren't desperately turning the wheel too much to reach the apex.
TI (Alameda) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #28
ChrisZang

Trygve, I just sent you a PM
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #29
clemsonc

My Box has a pair of bypass pipes right now (installed yesterday), Mark @ Sportech wanted me to test it out. And how it feels. I am afraid it might be too loud? Any shop will do a quick sound check? Just how loud is 103dbA?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)

Last edited by clemsonc; October 7th, 2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fixing typo "93", should be "103"
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #30
Docdanracy

bypass, as in catalytic converter bypass pipes...??

Mark has been listening to me again, I see
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman