Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1
binrocha

Smile boxster s vs base 911

Hi all!
Noobie here hungry for info. starting my research here for what porsche to buy, for the first time. like the heading says, i want to know if there's even a comparison between the two in terms of ownership, maint, performance, best buy for the money, etc. I also want to do my own basic maintenance, oil change, filters, brakes, tires, etc. Used car prices are more affordable now on both cars... so lets hear it , guys!! I've been reading a lot of info here, but no head to head comparison. Thanks in advance!
binrocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2
ppbon

You know...

this is a BOXSTER board, right?

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Come visit: www.PedrosGarage.com
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
CatalogGuy

I think it's an impossible question, though one that's unavoidable. I suspect you have gathered most of the data points. In 2000 I went with a Boxster S and some nice options instead of a 996 911. I still have and love the car. I suspect that I would say the same had I gone with the 911.

Have you read the recent 991S article on Winding Road? It's not on point to your question, but I think much of what he says applies to many Porsche models, perhaps not absolutely, but much of what he says reminds me of my Boxster. http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/86/

Have fun making up your mind!
CatalogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #4
mcomet

From what I have personally read if you want power/speed go with a 911 if you want more handling for twisties, more travel space go with a boxster...

All that said I have a 2003 S Boxster and have been somewhat wondering the same thing as I feel like I want more power on the straights, etc... just for fun. But I love the handling of the car. I have NOT driven a 911. I have read posts where people have come back to boxsters after 911's. My advice would be to go to a dealer and test drive both.

If I had the money I'd probably get a 911 Turbo or GT3...or maybe even something totally different...but right now I have my Boxsterand am generally happy with it. Truth be told... I tend to wonder if I bought the right car more when I am sitting on the couch or on the computer looking at other cars. When I actually start -driving- my car I get a smile every time.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM   #5
offshore

Although you can buy a 911 Cab and add a hard top to a Boxster I'd venture most owners of 911's wanted a hard top and most owners of Boxsters bought them because they are a Cab. That being said you need to ask yourself if you want a Cab and the necessary maintenance, repair and eventual replacement of a convertible top. They are noisier with the top up, the rear plastic windows yellow unless you get a glass window then your work space for the engine compartment is reduced some. My friend owns a 911 and it pisses me off when he passes me on the track but I grin ear to ear when I see him struggling to keep up with me on twisty back roads.
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Docdanracy

Have owned a 1999 Boxster and a 1999 996C2.

A well driven 911 is no worse in the corners...but 986 is slower slightly.
In the 986 you hear more of the sweet engine sounds.

996 is more of a GT touring car, while 986 is more of a driver...

Both were great cars, both had positives and negatives...if I were to buy another it would probably be the newest BoxsterS that fit in my budget.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
1analguy

In Car & Driver's November issue, while discussing the 981 Boxster S, they did make a brief comparison between the S and the base 991...basically saying that the Boxster S had turned in the same acceleration performance as the 991, while actually out-performing it in many dynamic situations (cornering, braking, etc.). They also bemoaned Porsche's insistence that the Boxster S be artificially ham-strung with a lower-power version of the same engine that's in the 991...
Old September 29th, 2020, 09:12 AM   #8
lizbee

Glad I found this site! thanks for this! -Moses
lizbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman