Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #1
huckym

IMS install problem

Hello all,
Firstly hello to the local community. Sadly enough, I wasnt aware of an active local community all these years!

...and now coming to the immediate problem!
It was time for a clutch change and I decided to replace the IMS as well. The cheaper pelican kit was my original plan but after I found I had a dual-row bearing decided to switch to the LN kit instead of using spacers etc.. with pelican's single-row bearing.

Locked the pulley at TDC locked bank-1 cam and removed all three chain tensioners. Managed to get the old bearing out without too much fuss.
But now the new LNE bearing just doesnt want to go in. I've tried freezing it and all that. Checked the dia of new and old bearing and shaft ID but nothing seems out of place. Here's a little video to clarify things further.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOybUQFYRjo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOybUQFYRjo[/ame]

Would be great to hear some fresh ideas on this. If some kind soul who has done this before and is somewhere close by wants to come take a little look, I'd be most thankful. Needless to say, your beer(s) is on me!
I live in san francisco but the car is in a garage in menlo park.

Cheers
Hakim
huckym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
offshore

Hi Hakim I'm no expert but I did watch Alden install mine and it appears the install tool moved while you were pounding it in. What makes you think the bearing isn't all the way in? You might contact Alden at Flintworks in Campbell, he advertises on this site under the commercial topic.
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #3
huckym

Alright so with some guidance from Jake of flat6 did manage to get the new bearing in! Just had to use a regular hammer instead of the deadblow I kept using.

...and so now moving on. My RMS isnt leaking but thought it might still be good to change. Does someone have the P234 RMS install tool I could borrow?
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
mikes_box

So is the car all back together and back on the road? do you work on your cars regularly? was it a difficult diy besides using the wrong hammer?
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
huckym

nopes not yet! I get little time and on weekends so just takes a long time. This is my first and only car so this poor thing has given me all my car breaking/fixing experience

The clutch change part itself is mostly straightforward I'd say except for when you strip some bolts (which is not too uncommon) or dont have some porsche specific tools. I stripped one pressure plate bolt (had to grind the head out) and struggled a little bit without an appropriate flywheel lock tool while trying to get that off.

For the IMS bit, the new one not going in was my main problem, so far. Lets see how it looks once I finish it and check cam timing etc..
Old September 29th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #6
lizbee

Glad I found this site! thanks for this! -Gladness
lizbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman