Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Jeanne T

Hankook tires

I'm needing some new tires, and feeling a bit broke for another set of Michelin PS. So at Fernley race track, a guy had a 2002 Boxster S and he had on Hankook tires (225/40 265/35) and the set of four is around $600. from Tire Rack. Anybody have any experience with these? Am I just kidding myself? He was tracking his car, but it's probably unlikely that I will, except maybe for a driver's school.

Last edited by Jeanne T; September 10th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Jeanne T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #2
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne T View Post
I'm needing some new tires, and feeling a bit broke for another set of Michelin PS. So at Fernley race track, a guy had a 2002 Boxster S and he had on Hankook tires (225/40 265/35) and the set of four is around $600. from Tire Rack. Anybody have any experience with these? Am I just kidding myself? He was tracking his car, but it's probably unlikely that I will, except maybe for a driver's school.
After my second set of rear Sumi's wore out in 10K miles I decided to try Hankook Ventus V12s on the rear and replace all four with them, if they worked out, once the fronts were gone. I haven't AXed or tracked them but have taken them on some twisting back road drives. They seemed a bit buttery for the first 500 mi as I felt my Boxster on the edge of breaking loose more than usual. Now they seem to hold just fine and I will be doing an AX on the 22nd so I can give you some more feedback from those conditions.
Comfort and noise seem on par with the Sumitomos and they seem to hold a more consistent air pressure, over time, than the Sumis.
It will be a while before I can tell you about wear.
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Jeanne T

My fronts are good, but apparently I can't get just the rear Michelin Ps's because they changed the R number. So a let for less than just the two back tires is appealing. Thanks for the input
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4
mikefocke

The N number change is not terribly significant, it is the changes in the tire tread or compound that occasioned a request for re-certification that is significant. If the tire is no longer available in the correct size, that is significant.

If you are getting abnormal wear on the rears, consider getting an alignment from someone who really knows Porsches and how to set them up for even wear. A great alignment guy made all the difference in my rear tire wear, to the point that they wore evenly and in synch with the fronts with no apparent loss of handling on the road.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Jeanne T

Mike, when I got my car the backs were new, but the fronts were worn out, so I replaced the fronts, but now the backs are worn out. I would like to get to the place where I would be buying a set at a time.
Old September 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #6
offshore

Typically, on a Boxster, it is 2:1 rears to fronts. Alden, at Flintworks, aligned my Box and he knows what he is doing, I just have a lead foot.
Old September 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Docdanracy

Most All Porsches have been 2:1 for many years...all of my Early Carreras were and so was my 964C2 and my 996C2, and my Boxster.
About the only Porsches that had even tread wear front to back were my 914s
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Jeanne T

Feeling a little stupid here. My 356 and 912 had same sized tires, front to rear, so I could rotate them. No wonder they all wore out at the same time. I was just attributing the difference to how expensive the tires were, so the first owner preferred to buy a set at a time, and I was just off in the rotation. Doc, that makes sense. My alignment is good, done by Custom Alignment in Mountain View, and I had their sheets to show for alignment when I got new fronts in April of 2009, so we went over that for comparison with Bill Pearce in Reno for camber, caster, toe in, etc.
Old September 29th, 2020, 09:18 AM   #9
lizbee

Thank you for this response! -Gladness
lizbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman