Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old June 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1
vitaminC

Thunderhill in July

Anyone going? I've signed up for the Saturday only, 7/14. I imagine it's going to be HOT out there

This will be my first track experience! Any words of advice to help me along? What is the setup in the pit area, and what do I need to bring for when I'm not in the car? Will I regret not having gloves? I already have my own helmet.

Thanks!
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Docdanracy

Plenty of water, snacks/food, cool clothes for when you aren't on track.
comfortable chair.
If you get to the track early enough there are usually parking spots under one of the two big overhangs in the paddock.
Find a spot and unload all your gear. Get your numbers on, helmet in car, and clothes you will be wearing on track..long sleeves, long pants, closed toed shoes. Head to the tech/registration area at the north end of the paddock to the north overhang and look for the tech sign...always between the overhang and front straight away of the track...
Sooner you tech and register the shorter the line/wait will be. Then plan on going to the MANDATORY drivers meeting in the first floor of the timing tower...just follow the crowd Are you going to the track orientation on Friday evening? I believe all students have to attend that session.
Make sure you air up your tires...I would suggest 40psi and 42psi cold to start...then check for sidewall roll over and adjust as needed.
Listen closely to your instructor, and follow his/her instructions as best you can.
Read as much as you can about what will be expected on the GGR website...
View as many videos as you can find running Thunderhill Clockwise...we usually only run CCW...we haven't run CW for several years now.
Plan on having a ton of fun, and stay for the Saturday dinner if you can...
I believe ChrisZ will be there, and there are always many Boxsters in attendance.

I will be there in the tower keeping an eye on everyone, and doing my usual racecontrol duties.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Tom M
Site Founder

Here's an old track checklist based on one put together by Trygve many moons ago.

http://www.babblers.org/documents/track_checklist.pdf
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #4
vitaminC

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I will be there Fri night for the beginners "ground school." Figure I'll try to take off very early from work and drive up through Napa and assorted backroads

One more easy question: what time do things start and end on Saturday?
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Docdanracy

Tech and reg usually start about 6:15 am...but if you get to the track on Friday afternoon you can tech and register then.
Gates open 6am Saturday and we have track until 5pm...yellow run group will probably be done by about 4pm or so.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #6
offshore

I don't carry a lot of tools but the one tool I've found I needed is a torque wrench to tighten your lug bolts. I was amazed at how loose they got after each session. Borrow one or go to Harbor Freight website and buy one, they have the best prices.
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Jeanne T

Don't skimp on the torque wrench. I saw a friend lose the front wheel on his 911 due to a failed torque wrench.
Jeanne T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #8
ChrisZang

Hi Chris,

if you want to hang out with a few fellow Boxster drivers:
When you come into the "setup area" you will see two large metal canopy structures, which provide covered parking (for the early birds). I and a few other fellow Boxster drivers always set up at the very end of the second structure. You're welcome to join us.
Becky & Mac: green Boxster (#699 and #669), Grady: (#919) black Boxster, myself: seal grey Box (#179)

I have two sets of extra gloves: I can loan you one set, let me know your choice of color: blue or red. I have two theories about the need for gloves:
a) they're for better grip on the steering wheel
b) for the ultra-super-high unlikely case that you're end up sitting in a burning car, it certainly helps to have your hands protected by Nomex while you're looking for the door handle....

BTW: the hotel you want to stay in is the Travelodge Willows
http://www.travelodge.com/hotels/cal...hotel-overview
It's a few steps away from pretty much the only waterhole in town (Casa Ramos) and so you can safely have a few drinks and don't have to drive afterwards
Don't make your reservation on-line, instead call them and tell them "you're with the track" that gives you the best rates.

And last not least: the idea with the back-country roads sounds nice but if you take the freeway it will take you between 3 and 5 hours. Make sure you leave before 1:30 PM otherwise you will be stuck in weekend traffic

See you there
Chris
2009 Carrera 4S "Kelsey", PDK, Sport Chrono Plus, CF GT2 seats, 31k miles
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
vitaminC

Chris, thanks for the info and glove offer! Red would be great

Looking forward to it!
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #10
clemsonc

I will be there with my spec car as well as Litko & Manuela in their spec car.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4051/...c291d27b_m.jpg
Clemson's Boxster Blog

StreetBox (1999 Boxster 2.5L, Bilstein Sport, H&R Springs, Hardtop, SPORTECH Muffler)
SpecBox (1997 Boxster 2.5L)
clemsonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman