Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old January 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM   #11
offshore

Redwood Region had a beautiful 2 1/2 hour back roads drive, with about 30 cars, from Santa Rosa to Cloverdale, then more back roads into Occidental for lunch at the Union Hotel.
Our group consisted of a 550 Spyder replica, a 356, a 912, a GT3, 944's, 928's, Boxsters and the rest of 911's of all flavors.
The most dangerous thing on the road was a large group of bicycle riders who had courage in numbers to completely block the traffic lane and refuse to move over and form a single line making all the traffic pass them one at a time.
I'm sporting a winter burn from a top down day from a 38 deg. start to a 50 deg. end.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
cas951

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
Hmm I totally missed reading this yesterday... I should have. I may be with cas951. I kept up with the people in front, but with my (lack) of exp. and newbie ability it was quite harrowing. I guess I would say it was "intense".

I did enjoy the pre-gathering and meeting some people. If I do anything next it will be AX to get safe training...don't know that I'll be joining this drive again.
I did this drive last year and I must say this is one route I will not do again. There is another event coming up on 1/13. This will be a drive to Santa Cruz. Checkout LPR Region events Calendar.
Some modifications

The rest of the stable:
2001 Lexus ES 300
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
1991 Honda CRX
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:57 AM   #13
Tom M
Site Founder

Here's a thought...

If you don't like a particular drive then why not put one together that you would be interested in just like in the early days of Babblers?

Back when things were just getting started anybody could organize/lead a drive and it was a lot of fun. Don't always wait for someone else to put something together as it's not difficult to pull a simple drive together on fairly short notice.

The destination can be simple such as going up to the wine country or up the coast to Bodega Bay for lunch. Or take a tour of your favorite back road for the simple sights. Begin planning now and post it in the Local Drives & Get Togethers forum and you're sure to get plenty of takers. Heck, even something as simple as scheduling a local drive up Mt. Diablo and doing a group picnic lunch works as does going down south and doing a Sunday brunch.

The Babblers drives were usually centered around a social event unlike many of the others, which seemed to be a bit more competitive in nature.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #14
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
If you don't like a particular drive then why not put one together that you would be interested in just like in the early days of Babblers?

Back when things were just getting started anybody could organize/lead a drive and it was a lot of fun. Don't always wait for someone else to put something together as it's not difficult to pull a simple drive together on fairly short notice.

The destination can be simple such as going up to the wine country or up the coast to Bodega Bay for lunch. Or take a tour of your favorite back road for the simple sights. Begin planning now and post it in the Local Drives & Get Togethers forum and you're sure to get plenty of takers. Heck, even something as simple as scheduling a local drive up Mt. Diablo and doing a group picnic lunch works as does going down south and doing a Sunday brunch.

The Babblers drives were usually centered around a social event unlike many of the others, which seemed to be a bit more competitive in nature.
Tom the issue here is one of liability. All of RR drives are PCA events with disclaimers signed by the participants. If an individual organizes an event and an "incident" does occur the organizer can potentially be held responsible. I say this from first hand experience. It is best to keep things PCA related, that is unfortunately the legal side of having fun.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:24 AM   #15
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshore View Post
Tom the issue here is one of liability. All of RR drives are PCA events with disclaimers signed by the participants. If an individual organizes an event and an "incident" does occur the organizer can potentially be held responsible. I say this from first hand experience. It is best to keep things PCA related, that is unfortunately the legal side of having fun.
Sorry Ron but that's just rubbish.

We had the same discussions 12+ years ago and if everyone is just on a safe and sane drive then there really is no issue of liability as it's no different than having just bumped into each (no pun intended) other while out on a solo drive. Some of the organizers had disclaimers basically stating the same thing. It's not the group, PCA in this case, that is protecting you it's the participant saying they won't do anything is something happens. Other than PCA having deep pockets in case the participant changes their mind it's the same thing.

In all the years I and other Babblers hosted drives we never had any incidents because no one was out to prove anything. If you do a group drive to a formal event then that event covers anything that might happen.
'11 958 Cayenne S
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:29 AM   #16
mcomet

I like the idea of signed disclaimers PCA or otherwise, would love to know the "real" legality of that. I might have to try Redwood next year tho it is 1.5hr away...we'll see. I could see a Napa drive being fun, or maybe a diff south ride like a Hwy 1 Santa Cruz drive.

My favorite quote in this thread is "drive with restraint". A+.

PS: I posted some pics to the Pelican forum of the gathering and stop off...
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:27 AM   #17
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
Sorry Ron but that's just rubbish.

We had the same discussions 12+ years ago and if everyone is just on a safe and sane drive then there really is no issue of liability as it's no different than having just bumped into each (no pun intended) other while out on a solo drive. Some of the organizers had disclaimers basically stating the same thing. It's not the group, PCA in this case, that is protecting you it's the participant saying they won't do anything is something happens. Other than PCA having deep pockets in case the participant changes their mind it's the same thing.

In all the years I and other Babblers hosted drives we never had any incidents because no one was out to prove anything. If you do a group drive to a formal event then that event covers anything that might happen.
I'm just sayin' Tom. Everyone has to do what they want but what separates a legally binding contract from a lawsuit is a good attorney who turns rubbish into $$$.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM   #18
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomet View Post
I like the idea of signed disclaimers PCA or otherwise, would love to know the "real" legality of that. I might have to try Redwood next year tho it is 1.5hr away...we'll see. I could see a Napa drive being fun, or maybe a diff south ride like a Hwy 1 Santa Cruz drive.

My favorite quote in this thread is "drive with restraint". A+.

PS: I posted some pics to the Pelican forum of the gathering and stop off...
If you have the time and inclination come to the Cars and Coffee event this Sunday in Novato and meet some of the RR members. Here's a link https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marin...stream&__req=6
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Docdanracy

you can not sign away your rights in California....waivers/disclaimers are only there to give the illusion of personal responsibility.
Docdanracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:40 PM   #20
offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docdanracy View Post
you can not sign away your rights in California....waivers/disclaimers are only there to give the illusion of personal responsibility.
That may be true but for a RR PCA event you no sign you no drive and since PCA continues to apply that rule they must know something about responsibility.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman