Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
dedes

Lightbulb Goodyear rolls out the F1 Eagle

Goodyear rolls out the F1 Eagle
Larry Edsall / Special to The News

If you're a car enthusiast, you may want to have a large carbon footprint.

No, we're not talking here about a fuel-guzzling contribution to global warming. We're talking about a tire that uses carbon fibers impregnated into the sidewalls to make sure you maintain proper contact with the road.
Goodyear's highest-performance tires -- whether used by NASCAR stock car racers, Top Fuel drag racers or those who drive cars like the Porsche Boxster or Audi TT and the like -- carry the Eagle label on their sidewall.
Beginning in July, Goodyear will offer its newest Eagle, the Eagle F1 All Season, with carbon fibers to reinforce both sidewalls to enhance acceleration, cornering and braking performance.
Goodyear may be late to the all-season ultra high-performance party, but it also may have leapfrogged competitors. In testing by Goodyear engineers, the Eagle F1 All Season was at least comparable and in most cases outperformed competitors in wet and dry handling, braking, and even stopping on icy surfaces.
Goodyear transferred its carbon fiber technology from the racetrack to the road a year ago when it introduced an Eagle touring tire with what it calls ResponseEdge technology, using carbon fibers to reinforce the outside sidewall to enhance cornering prowess. Now, Goodyear applies this technology to both sidewalls of the Eagle F1 All Season.
The Eagle F1 All Season will be available in 22 sizes beginning in July. They will be priced between $112 and slightly more than $300 per tire.
For more information, visit www.goodyeartires.com/eagle.

Last edited by dedes; May 24th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
dedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:25 PM   #2
MartinJF

A Little Review

I put these tires on my MB CLK320, I might try the summer only versions on the P-Car but I am very partial to the PS2 on the Boxster. If I got all seasons on the Boxster these tires would get serious consideration.

The last set of tires I ran on the Benz were Continental Extreme Contacts a nice tire for the price, the new F1 tires are a nice step up in performance.

Wet performance (it rained in Norcal last weekend ) is excellent, from a road feel point of view and under normal driving conditions you really could not tell it was raining.

Dry pavement, turn in is much faster than the Conti’s so responsiveness of the car to small amounts of steering input is much better, the car feels more stable in the corners with what seems to be quite high traction limits for an all season tire. I have not pushed them flat out on the corners but I have made them squeal, they loose traction slowly with plenty of warning. The car tends to under steer and with wider rears gentle throttle release keeps the car nice and stable in a fast wide radius turn.

Road noise is low.

Overall I am very happy with these tires.

I am running AMG 17 inch 203 Wheels (thin spoke), with a staggered set up 225/45-17 in front and 245/40-17.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers, B&M Short Shifter, Rennline Pedal Set.
MartinJF is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical