Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:03 AM   #11
legere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cease
Tom, I ordered the lowering kit from FVD-USA. Rep said they came from Germany. I'm getting the local Porsche dealer to install them.

What is FVD-USA??
legere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 08:56 AM   #12
Tom M
Site Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by legere
What is FVD-USA??
It's an upgrade/performance company.

http://www.fvd-web.com/
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #13
Unregistered

LNYybWWFoujef

ONw9S2 <a href="http://gpeustabxahh.com/">gpeustabxahh</a>, kdasmpgatzuo, [link=http://ryghwfheiicj.com/]ryghwfheiicj[/link], http://ptkqhcltpdtq.com/

Last edited by lxvwqzel; February 24th, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: SCSmotfqh
Old August 24th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #14
jher3

Angry

I thought the vibrations at high speed that I was experiencing was due to alignment. It never even dawned on me that it could be my loud tires that I can't wait to get rid of.
jher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #15
cease

My vibration was definitely the tires; no issues since I've replaced them.
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM   #16
speedyellowster

Porsche Parade was here in Portland this year, and the Michelin people brought two Cayman S models, one with PS-2's and one with Pilot Sport Cup tires. My buddy and I missed the sign up to test drive the cars on Portland Intl. Raceway, so we just showed up at 8:00am on the second day of the tire test. They had set up a course that used part of the track and part of the pit area. WOW - what fun.

Anyway, the PS-2's were very nice. They were grippy and predictable. I had the car set in "sport" mode, which I now understand only partially deactivates the traction control, so I could not get any appreciable throttle oversteer. I could get the front tires to squeal on the little slalom part of the course, and on the big sweeper turn they had set up, but actual complete understeer was hard to achieve.

The Pilot Sport Cups were better, but the engineer from Michelin said to only expect 3 or 4 thousand miles out of them in ordinary use. Probably not worth the small increase in grip, and perceptible increase in the smoothness of breakaway at the limit.
speedyellowster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM   #17
dickie

g'day all,

so is the answer on the best tyres for the 'S' the Michelin PS2's? Better than the bridgestones and not too soft that they will wear out super quick.

What sort of road mileage would you expect, i dont take the motor on the track but drive like it should be driven!

what do you reckon?

cheers
Dickie
dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #18
RipperT

I was fortunate enough to take a driver's ed course sponsored by Brumos in Florida. One of the subjects touched on was ABS performance and faults. As I understand it, during a panic stop, if you mash the brakes then release and mash the brakes again the computer interprets a fault and bypasses the ABS and you will lock all four tires at once. This could be one possibility of the problem and how to flatspot all four.

On the subject of lowering a Boxster: I have a 2001 that I lowered 1/2" using a set of Bilstein PSS9 struts. I ran into a problem with using 18" rims on the rear of the car as the wider rims contacted the struts due to the new geometry. I ended up with the stock 17" rims to fix the problem. It has been over two years since this was done and I do not remember the exact width's of the 18" rims we were trying to apply but list this as a caution. Please verify any combination's with the car on the rack and off before driving away when lowering your car.

On a performance note. Brumos keeps an unofficial track record of the winning times at the end of the days events at their school and found that the Boxster S with 17" rims had the highest average number of wins on their short track set-up prior to the introduction of the Cayman.
RipperT is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical