Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
jshopper

help with proper rims size for 986 boxster

will these fit my 986 base model boxsterproperly ?
Title: 18" PORSCHE 997 TURBO WHEELS CAYMAN BOXSTER S RIMS

Condition: New

Rim Information
Brand: 997 turbo style Number of Bolts: 5 Material: Alloy

Width: 8.0" front & 10.0" rear Bolt Pattern: 5 x 5.12 or 5 x 130 Structure: --

Diameter: 18 inches Offset: 50 mm front & 46 mm rear Part Number (MPN): porsche 997 turbo style
jshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
The Voxster

Porsche does not make 997 turbo wheels in 18"--only 19"--so these are definitely aftermarket copies. In fact, they look like the copies of the 997 turbos from Italy that have been selling on eBay for a long time, now.

The Porsche OE 997 turbo 19" wheels are forged and very light (and outrageously expensive as a result), while these 18"s are cast and fairly heavy. That means you'll be adding unsprung weight to your car, which, depending on your goals, may be an issue for you if you're looking to extract maximum performance from lightness out of your available HP.

That said, these wheels will fit your car with the specs/offsets given, though I'd probably run 5mm spacers in the rear if it were me. You may also need to tie back your e-brake cable to prevent the tires from rubbing them on the rear, as these are 10" rears instead of the OE 9" specification. Also, depending on whether (or how much) your car has been lowered, you may run into fender well rubbing in the rear with that wide a tire, which might mean you need to have the fenders rolled to prevent a possible disaster out in the twisties. If your car isn't lowered, these will probably fit without rubbing.

From a quality standpoint, these wheels may well be fine, but especially for a high-performance sports car, I personally would probably pass on them and look for a better known/higher-quality brand. Not saying these are unsafe or inadequate, but something to consider very seriously, since your life may quite literally depend on it.

Hear The Future
The Voxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #3
jshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voxster View Post
Porsche does not make 997 turbo wheels in 18"--only 19"--so these are definitely aftermarket copies. In fact, they look like the copies of the 997 turbos from Italy that have been selling on eBay for a long time, now.

The Porsche OE 997 turbo 19" wheels are forged and very light (and outrageously expensive as a result), while these 18"s are cast and fairly heavy. That means you'll be adding unsprung weight to your car, which, depending on your goals, may be an issue for you if you're looking to extract maximum performance from lightness out of your available HP.

That said, these wheels will fit your car with the specs/offsets given, though I'd probably run 5mm spacers in the rear if it were me. You may also need to tie back your e-brake cable to prevent the tires from rubbing them on the rear, as these are 10" rears instead of the OE 9" specification. Also, depending on whether (or how much) your car has been lowered, you may run into fender well rubbing in the rear with that wide a tire, which might mean you need to have the fenders rolled to prevent a possible disaster out in the twisties. If your car isn't lowered, these will probably fit without rubbing.

From a quality standpoint, these wheels may well be fine, but especially for a high-performance sports car, I personally would probably pass on them and look for a better known/higher-quality brand. Not saying these are unsafe or inadequate, but something to consider very seriously, since your life may quite literally depend on it.
I asked the guy and he says about 25lbs each is that heavy? ( jshopper1963@sbcglobal.net )
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #4
JMMCFP

I have 18" rims on my 2000 986 and I think they look really good! Not as smooth a ride as a smaller diameter rim, but a better "look".
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshopper View Post
I asked the guy and he says about 25lbs each is that heavy? ( jshopper1963@sbcglobal.net )
About average.

Hear The Future
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #6
jshopper

is it ok to use staggered height rims 18 in the back and 17 in the front?
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #7
The Voxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshopper View Post
is it ok to use staggered height rims 18 in the back and 17 in the front?
I wouldn't recommend it... might throw off your ABS and (if you have it on your car) PSM. Plus it would look REALLY awful. IMO. Like a 70's mag-wheel-wearing musclecar. Ick.

Hear The Future

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.