Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions

Old May 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
rachelvega

Cool Rear Tire Noise

I have a 1999 Boxster that is making a clicking/clunking sound in the right rear tire. Twice the tire has been removed and the sound stopped. It seems to be rather random as to when it will or wont be heard. It definitely clunks more if I accelerate. On occasion it will clunk and then just randomly stop. Any ideas?
rachelvega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2
RStaley905

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelvega View Post
I have a 1999 Boxster that is making a clicking/clunking sound in the right rear tire. Twice the tire has been removed and the sound stopped. It seems to be rather random as to when it will or wont be heard. It definitely clunks more if I accelerate. On occasion it will clunk and then just randomly stop. Any ideas?
Yeah. It's probably the CV joint. Pull the tire off and see if the boot is damaged. If it is the whole thing should be replaced. It will get worse. Mine sounded like the bearing was going out before I finally figured it out. And my other one is going now.
RStaley905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Mechanical and Technical