Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old October 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Gear Grinder

Question Trade 19" for 18" Wheels

When I bought my 05 Boxster S seven months ago it had 19" Carrera S wheels. The ride is a little bit stiff because of the roads I travel are not the best. I assume the 987original 18" Carrera S wheel would be a direct replacement. But If I post an add to swap rims with someone will only 987 rims work with my car or could I use 997 18" wheels on the Boxster? I definatly want to stay with OEM wheels. Any help out there would be appreciated.
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
davezaristo

If you want a set of OEM 987 Boxster S 18" rims, i'll swap with you..let me know..
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Gear Grinder

Dave, do you have an 987 S with the 18" Carrera S wheels? We could talk turkey about some kind of a deal. I have put my car to rest for the season. What do I need to do to talk to you on a land line?
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Westcoaster

Here are some pictures of some currently available 18" wheels, the Boxster S and Cayman S wheels should have the same offset (needs to be confirmed) and should fit without problems.

The 18" Carrera wheel may have a different offset.

Pictures: 18" Boxster S / 18" Cayman S / 18" Carrera

My personal favorite is the 18" Cayman wheel!
Attached Thumbnails
normal.jpg   Caymen 18.jpg   Carrera 18.jpg  
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #5
f_laurens

where are you located?
I have 18" and I'm interested with your 19"
I live in San Diego.
f_laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #6
Gear Grinder

Westcoaster

I wondered if you would come aboard on this subject. Wheels are a subjective thing as is all art. What looks good to one may not to another. I am looking for the stock 18" Carrera S wheels that came on the Boxster S 987. I do not know if 997 wheels have the correct offset and to avoid any mishaps I would like to find someone with a 987 S who has thought of installing 19" rims. The rural roads that I have to drive on are not the best. Take care and will be in touch with you soon.

Steve
Old October 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #7
boxs2000

I know Dave's wheels are the one that is the first picture that westcoaster provided, which are the 987s wheels. I have seen them and just like his car, it is in imaculate condition.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #8
Gear Grinder

BoxS2000

Thank you for your input. I left a phone message for Dave last night but as yet no answer.

Regards,
Steve
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #9
davezaristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Keppler View Post
Thank you for your input. I left a phone message for Dave last night but as yet no answer.

Regards,
Steve
Steve,

Got your msg but i have been busy all day..would you mind posting some pics of your wheels and i will do the same as well? Thanks!

Dave
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Westcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Keppler View Post
I wondered if you would come aboard on this subject. Wheels are a subjective thing as is all art. What looks good to one may not to another. I am looking for the stock 18" Carrera S wheels that came on the Boxster S 987. I do not know if 997 wheels have the correct offset and to avoid any mishaps I would like to find someone with a 987 S who has thought of installing 19" rims. The rural roads that I have to drive on are not the best. Take care and will be in touch with you soon.

Steve
Hey Steve, although not an expert on this, the only 18" wheel styles that I can find that Porsche spec'd for the Boxster was the 18" Boxster S and the 18" Cayman S that are the first 2 pictures in my last post. I checked my Tech Equipment catalog and the current build configurator and they didn't show any others either.

Now that I have looked at the 8" Boxster S wheel, it has grown on me and I woud be happy with that style as well, but as you mentioned it is all very subjective!

I think that it is wise to be careful about the 997 wheels and verify the offset before going that route.
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman