Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Regions > Drives and Meetups

Drives and Meetups Plan a drive or meetup with other drivers

Old October 26th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #41
boxs2000

oooh thats cool, is that the same hack as the one where you cut one of the connectors on the relay? I will be there tomorrow with another dremel tool : ) AAAArrrgghh aaarrgghh the old tool time motto : )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #42
dedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000 View Post
oooh thats cool, is that the same hack as the one where you cut one of the connectors on the relay? I will be there tomorrow with another dremel tool : ) AAAArrrgghh aaarrgghh the old tool time motto : )
Hmm, I think that is 4-5 dremels we will have.
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #43
cas951

Tech Sesion went well. It was nice to meet all that attended and bigb is happy with the end result.

I managed to take some photo's specially with Gerry telling someone on the phone he was busy....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03293.jpg   DSC03294.jpg   DSC03295.jpg   DSC03298.jpg   DSC03299.jpg  

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #44
cas951

Now that everything is put away my two babies are neatly tucked in for the night.

So...when's the next session or get together.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03300.jpg  
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #45
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Tech Sesion went well. It was nice to meet all that attended and bigb is happy with the end result.

I managed to take some photo's specially with Gerry telling someone on the phone he was busy....
Nice pics, cas. We had a nice turnout - I like the pic with all different colored boxsters in the lineup. And I *love* the pic with Gerry on the phone
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #46
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Now that everything is put away my two babies are neatly tucked in for the night.

So...when's the next session or get together.
Thanks cas, you were a wonderful host, and it was a great turnout of cars and people!

Thanks everyone for showing up, and helping with all the hard work on my car. Love the OBC hack, love the fact that the sound isn't bouncing off of the front glass anymore (well, it still is, but the soundstage is much better now). So, thank you all once again!!!

It was a shame we didn't get more people wanting to do the OBC hack on their cars. Having Jeff at the event helped tremendously - I can honestly say that without his expertise (and the dvds ), there is no way we in hell we could've (successfully) completed the work today. I would also like to call out River Rat for being the contortionist and getting into all remote parts of the cars - he would not leave till he heard the rear speakers fire, and then when he finally had to leave he forgot his cell on the top of my car .

I think the count for today was my OBC, rear speakers, Gerry's airbag light, Dede's headlamp bulb, Gerry's pin-18 hack, and I think one other airbag light.

cas liked the OBC hack, so next time we need to cover that - if more of you are interested in that (Gerry, Dede, Voxster etc.), you may want to do a combined ordering of the parts from Sunset Porsche to save on shipping, and also to make sure that we have another get together to work on these cars . If someone wants to do work on their brakes, I would like to help out as well - I've never done it, but want to learn. Ditto for fuel filter.

Beer, pizza, beer, hanging out with a great bunch of folks - it was a good day! Thank you all for making it happen!
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #47
dedes

Here is a few more photos

Thanks Cas951 for your hospitality!
Great day. Nice folks. Yummy pizza. Lots of enthusiasm.
So now that everyone knows about Pin#18. How about doing a garage door opener Hack next?
Below are a few pics of the day!
Thanks again Cas951,
Dede & Kevin

Here is the computer telling what's the next step.....

Another Boxster shows up to observe the hacking

Hacking away in the garage

Cas951's two Porsches parked on the street temporarily

River Rats car - River rat where do you keep the golf clubs & the lawn chair now?

More showed up, Box2000, Toolpants, Gerry and Dedes

Nice Fall day for hacking

Hmmm nice...........wheels, spoiler.

Rear Speaker Hack - careful of the clip! Did you get the old glue off?

Where's the screw guys?
Oh, Gerry (shirt#58) thinking about the afternoon
indoor sky diving he has planned later in the day.

Serious work - OBC hack - Toolpants helping Bigb with the OBC

Old October 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #48
bigb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
We've been talking about this in another thread, but I think it now deserves a separate place of its own (thank you for the prompt Dede!).

A few of us are getting together to do the OBC (On Board Computer) hack etc. on our boxsters this Saturday. Currently, we are only planning to do the button hack (not the four-stalk one). We may also do other work (rear speakers etc.) given time.

Here are the details:

When: 10 am on 10/27/2007 (this Saturday)
Where:
2840 Mauricia Av
Santa Clara, Ca 95051

2 blocks from the GMC dealer on Stevens creek.
Stevens Creek Porsche is also only 2 blocks away.

This is cas951's place, who is a new boxster owner (but a long-time porsche owner). He has Ramps, jacks, tools, aircompressor, power tools etc. If anyone wants to work on their car, or if you have done these hacks before and wish to share your knowledge, please join us. Please respond in this thread if you are interested.
For those interested in doing the OBC hack, there are a couple of points I'd like to call out (this is in addition to the instructions you may find on the net):
1. The VW wire listed on most sites is the wrong one, in that it works, but isn't a proper fit. The correct part number has a 09 instead of 10 (#000.979.009 instead of #000.979.010).
2. Switches have different finishes. 02 (cas951) has matte, probably same for 03 (Voxster), 01 (and before) had gloss finishes, and those are quickly going out of stock. Keep that in mind when ordering

Last edited by bigb; October 27th, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #49
dedes

Thanks Bigb

For coordinating this car care/hack session day on Babblers calendar.
I love the fact the Porsche dealer is right down the street so I could get a new bulb for the headlight and some trim buttons for my trunk liner.
We all did learn more about our car. Thanks to all!
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #50
cas951

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Nice pics, cas. We had a nice turnout - I like the pic with all different colored boxsters in the lineup. And I *love* the pic with Gerry on the phone
This is where it was funny. He was telling someone on the phone that he was busy at that time. We just cracked up and had to take that picture.

Porsche Babblers > Regions > Drives and Meetups