Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 7th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #1
Tool Pants

Lights. Camera. Action.

We are going to make a video of various Boxster projects. We have a producer, director, camera people, a bunch of stars, and editor. Ray said it might be better to put the video on a cd instead of a dvd. If I have left you out or have additional projects let me know.

Dr. A (watchman)- trip computer w/ stalk and oil change.

Raman - 2003 trip computer with stalk - Peter needs to turn on.

Ray (Duster) - cd changer and rear speaker install.

Tariq - B&M shift.

It is easy to do all this in a few hours, but with a video camera running it is going to take much longer. I'm thinking of scheduling 2 different days.
Old March 7th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #2
karlooz

i'll do a trip computer w/o stalk...

...AB is turning the OBC on but the car is still on the lift. i can redo a belt change, instrument cluster bulb change, bumper cover removal for clearing radiator debris, EVO install (maybe)
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #3
Tom S.

Count on at least 2 days...

I've done some amateur video and if you don't have a storyboard and a good director that knows what he wants to show,,,well, things slow down in a hurry. Not to mention tempermental actors!

Tom S.
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:27 AM   #4
Yoseif (01 AS/MB/MB)

"amateur video"?? *NM*

Old March 11th, 2003, 10:01 AM   #5
mooty

B&M

i need help with B&M install.
Old March 11th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #6
JFP

Re: B&M

What's the problem?
Old March 12th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #7
Eric in Dallas

Re: B&M

The B&M comes with some pretty good directions - do you have a copy?

John in Chicago (on the other board) made a video of following the B&M printed directions.

Here are my notes from a B&M hAcK pArTy we had.

Notes to B&M Short Shifter
Installation in a Porsche Boxster (video by John in Chicago).
August 31, 2002, Eric in Dallas

John in Chicago has provided a very valuable service by video taping his installation of the B&M short shifter using the still photo instructions provided by B&M. We installed 3 B&M shifters on August 31, 2002 and would like to add our experience to anyone using John's fabulous video.

1) We found that seat placement should be experimented with. In our experience, putting the seat in the "all the way back" position made it easier to remove the center console. The edges of the console are sharp and GREAT CARE should be taken in covering surfaces PARTICULARLY the inside sides of the seat backs and the parking brake handle. A simple cloth or towel will suffice as a cover. We used "blue tape" (low adhesion) to tape the cloths in place.
2) It is easier to unplug the glove-box "key" harness from underneath if the rear of the console is first lifted up several inches.
3) The metal clips that B&M says need to be removed to pull the shift cables up and out did not in fact need to be removed. The shift cables snap out of the housing and upward without removing the metal clips (see B&M instructions)
4) I used red nail polish (not mine !) to mark the outer barrels of the shift cable retainers so as to facilitate replacing the cable ends into the barrels at the position they were with the OEM shifter. We believe this saves a lot of frustration in re-adjusting the shift cables on the new shifter. Simply paint a stripe on the outside of the retainer barrel even with the "lower" end of the threaded barrel on the end of the shift cable before dismantling the shifter cables. You will see what I mean when you get in there.
5) Instead of using a utility knife to cut the OEM bushing clips, our esteemed member Bill K., who assited us with the procedure, determined that a sharp wood chisel tapped (and just that, tapped not whacked ) with a mallet was far more efficient at removing bushing clips. In fact, we consider this information a major breakthrough in the entire proceedings.
6) Grease the side pivot point after you have snaked the whole B&M shifter into the shift tower housing. It is easy to access and this will prevent you transferring all that grease to everything around you as you try to remember your Rubic's cube days and wriggle the shifter into the housing.
7) The instructions make no mention of this but we believe greasing the inside of the nylon cups of the new bushings is a good idea and actually makes for a better fit. We believe that the bushing slack adjuster is fine in the forward position as B&M instructs but that the adjustment should be made after the shift tower is re-attached to the car and the cables have been re-connected. We think that simply checking for the "self-righting" motion is the best test and you get to that by starting where the shift handle is too snug to "self-right" and that you then back off 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn, check for self-righting, then secure the jam nut.

Page 2

B&M Shifter Installation Notes

The little black horizontal plastic trim just forward of the shifter has a series of hooks on its bottom edge. These "hooks" go inside not below the opening you are trying to press the trim piece back into upon re-assembly.

9) As mentioned earlier, having the passenger seat all the way back sure made spearing the console back in easier. A cloth was draped over the forward end of the console as it was "speared" into place up front and with minimum flexing, seated at the rear. The best starting position was with the rear of the console up, and the nose of the console started into its home. Get the cloth off before the front end is fully inserted though or it will get trapped.

10) It took us about 3.5 hours to do all 3 cars We took our time and would watch John's great video for a section, stop the tape and do the work, then watch a little more tape, stop the tape and do the work, &tc. This job should be able to be completed in considerably less time than we used.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman