Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old July 7th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Chatter Box

Russell Test Lap -- Anyone interested in a BABBLERs event?

We just had a great day of running laps at Lemans Karting. It was so much fun running laps with you guys and I hope it becomes more of a regular occurrence.

The experience inspired me to do some research and look into some of the other rubber burning activities we could do with each other. There has always been a small to non existent BABBLER turnout for AX and DEs, so I looked first at the Russell karting programs. The classes look fun, but you have to take 2 classes totalling nearly $1k before you can run open laps or enter sprint races.

While I was at their website, I came across the Russell Test Lap program. This is not a karting event. This event involves the Russell Formula cars. This is a one day event where you get a little classroom instruction, a short follow the leader on-track exercise, and then open laps. The entire day is 3.5 to 4 hours and costs $495.

I spoke with the sales manager and he said he can get us a group discount if we have 10 or more people sign up. Plus, they just added a Sept 2 event and can give us a good deal on that day as well.

For those who just don't want to drive their own cars on a track or spend the money on a helmet, etc, this is a great chance to get out and learn high performance driving in a controlled environment for far less than the regular Russell or Barber courses.
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM   #2
Paulsha911

I'm seriously interested...

although it would be better if the event doesn't coincide with a long weekend. I think a lot of people have out-of-town travel plan for long weekends...
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #3
Kenr

Re: Russell Test Lap -- Anyone interested in a BABBLERs event?

Scott, last year I took their high performance driving class and had a chance to view the Test Lap class which was going on at the same time. It looked to me that they were way too controlled. Our instructors told us they had the governors throttled way back so the test lap people canít go very fast. They also had chicanes at various places along the track and stop points to slow you down and maintain even spacing. When I first got on the track they still had a few formula test lappers out and they looked slow. They were easy to run them down in a Boxster. Our instructor told us that the Test Lap was just a brief introduction so that could get you up for buying the main event the 3 day techniques of racing class. JMO (observation), maybe someone else has a different impression.

Scott, we spoke a little on Sunday and you didnít remember Annise?
Old July 8th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #4
Chatter Box

Ohhhhh, that Annise. Now I remember.

Sorry, I'm horrible putting names to faces I see only in tax season. I'm sure after we bump into each other at a few 'fun' events, I'll do better.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a very fun way to spend $500. I think that the Barber school has something similar to the Testlap which is 1 day of lapping but geared more toward developing as a driver. There is a lot of intensive computer analysis of your driving, critiques, and more driving. I don't know if that requires completion of their longer classes though.

Thanks for the feedback. I would have been disappointed. Tell Annise I said hi and you can leave out that I spaced when you mentioned her the other day.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman