Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old December 4th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #1
spyder

Question 2003 porsche, dead battery

My battery is dead & can't get to it. The switch to the front trunk lid is dead because the battery is. I was told by a Porche machanic to open the panel on the left wall on the drivers side. I opened it & theres a lot of fuses in there, but there is one that has the front trunk lid open on it. I pulled it out as far as it would come. It just seems dangerous to hook jumper cables up to a fuse box. Is this right, or should I use a battery charger. I am machaniclly incline, but not a pro. and Porsche is a completely different critter than what I'm used to playing with. Can someone varifiy what is the right way to at least get enoug power to open the front lid so I can get to the battery? Thanks Gary
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2
spyder

Smile dead battery

I got it.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
james

On my 2003 the fuse box has specific points to jump to open the trunk. See your manual

Regards,

James
"While driving my Boxster on twisty roads for hours is absolutely no replacement for spending quality time with my wife and family, it is at least why I keep my Boxster." copyright 2008 James E. Smith IV
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
cas951

I used a trickle charger. Just did this about 3 weeks ago. Batt was dead. Would not even hold a charge but a trickle charger provided enough charge to open the trunk.
Some modifications

The rest of the stable:
2001 Lexus ES 300
2003 Chrysler Town & Country
1991 Honda CRX
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #5
mikefocke

The theory is there is a special post in the fuze box that allows you to give the system just enough juice to open the trunk, but would NOT carry enough to start the car so don't try it. Covered in the owner's manual. If that doesn't work http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...rbatteryisdead has what others have tried that worked for them.

There is nothing special about a Porsche battery. http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries lists a bunch of batteries known to work.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman