Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old August 26th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #1
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

My new Glass Window Top DIY

I decided to bite the bullet and buy an after-market glass window top for my ’99. The car has 130k miles. The original plastic window was replaced by a professional in 2004. In 2011, that window cracked, so I bought a very good condition top & frame from Trygve's Spec Racer conversion. Unfortunately, that window developed a crack at one of the seams. Since I kept the previous frame & top, I decided to tackle a DIY project. I bought the top on ebay for ~$550. I used the instructions that came with the top and also relied on the Pelican Parts write-up - http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ass_Window.htm and Mike Focke’s site - https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...ingthetop-adiy
The top looks great. I have a bad back, so working with the frame off the car at my leisure worked out well for me. I did the entire job solo. The only other expenses were 3M double sided tape, weather stripping adhesive, two plastic slide rails and rivets and a can of Ragg Topp.

Here is the patient on the Operating Table

The other top is removed, waiting for the new one:

The finished product - The original top was blue, the new top is black, but looks blue in the pics:

Old August 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #2
mikelsr

Good job. I'm waiting for mine to crack. How is the quality of the top compared to the the original?
mikelsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #3
BoxsterBob - San Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelsr View Post
Good job. I'm waiting for mine to crack. How is the quality of the top compared to the the original?
I ordered mine from AutoTopsDirect.com. The quality seems good, apparently it's the same German A5 fabric used on the original. Here are a few more pics.

Old October 29th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #4
GooManners

Thanks for posting this. I am going to change my top this month.

So this cover just matches right up to the existing MY1998-2001 roof assembly....no need for a fourth bow like in MY2002
Awesome.

Do you need the side rails? Or did you replace because yours were trashed?
Thanks again.

Last edited by GooManners; October 29th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
GooManners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 03:56 PM   #5
mikefocke

Glad Maurice's articles helped.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman