Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 21st, 2003, 09:31 PM   #1
Chatter Box

BK Rollbar Extension owners: Please help.

Hi guys,

I just bought a BK Extension and installed it this afternoon.

When, I clip in my convertible top, it stretches the top fabric
tightly against the extension. From the outside, you can see bulges
where the corners of the extension are. From the inside, it is clear
that the problem with clearance is not the rollbar padding but in
fact, is the corners of the extension. It makes a creaking noise
as the top stretches as the top is being clipped down tight. I
can't tell if the tension is significant or trivial.

Will it wear a hole in the top?
Will the body flex during normal driving increase that wear?
Or is it no biggie?

I'm hoping I'm not the only one seeing this. I'm hoping you other
guys have the same problem and have been okay driving around with it.

If you don't have the same problem, is there any idea why mine would
be tighter than yours?
Old March 21st, 2003, 11:20 PM   #2
Bill Dally

Re: BK Rollbar Extension owners: Please help.

I have not had this problem with my BK rollbar extension. I've had it in the car since the PCA tech inspection on 1/25/03. With the top up the rollbar extension touches the top but does not bind and is not visible from outside.

The only problem I have with mine is that the latch on the front of the top hits the extension when I operate the top. I have to stop the top, retract the latch, move it over the bar, and then extend the latch again.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 10:07 AM   #3
doug_d (Cameron Park, CA)

i'm not positive cuz i usually have my top down when the bk is on, but i'm pretty sure that mine does NOT touch the top.

was this a new unit from bk? wonder if they changed the dimensions....
Old March 22nd, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4
Trygve Isaacson

Mine exhibits the same little "bulges" where the top meets the extension's brackets. But the bulges are pretty small and it seems to be harmless. I don't hear any sound like you described. I haven't seen any signs of abrasion etc. from it, and I tend to leave the extension on a lot. So I haven't been worrying about it.
Old March 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #5
Chatter Box

Thanks for the help, guys.

I read on the racing board that you can get the bar to lean more forward and get rid of the "bumps" in the top. I think I'll try to do that. But either way, it's good to know you see the same thing and it hasn't hurt your top.

Oh yeah, that rubbing noise I mentioned...it's there with or without the top. My top was recently replaced and it still makes a stretchy noise when clamping it shut. I freaked and thought it was rubbing. D'oh.

I think I may have reassembled my seatbelts improperly because I'm having a hard time getting it to retract now that the bk hardware is in place. I'm gonna peek at a Box while I'm at Claridge's today and see.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman