Porsche Babblers  

Go Back   Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman

Boxster / Cayman Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum - Topics and discussions about the Porsche Boxster and Cayman

Old March 28th, 2003, 04:58 PM   #1
kirkg

boxster s muffler

i just bought a 2002 s with a sport muffler, is there any aftermarket
muffler that will inprove performance? Does the 2002 s have 252 or 258 hp.
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #2
RobynC

Lesser HP

And there are a few...but really, it's more about aesthetics than performance with am mufflers. To utilize one to it's fullest, headers and ECU is your best bet. I currently have the TechArt exhaust on my 2002 S.
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:08 PM   #3
kirkg

Re: Lesser HP

i was consider fabspeeds kit. It includes an intake piggy back program for ecu and a muffler they claim 30 hp,40 if you add headers.
do you know anything about that company?

fabspeed.com
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #4
RobynC

I know a few of our 996 friends have put on the FabSpeed...

and it sounds awesome. But, I would ask them (FabSpeed) to prove to you by way of a dyno that it adds 30hp, stand alone on a Boxster. I would bet a lot, they are full of it. There are a lot of AM exhausts around, and most will make you LOSE HP on your car, not gain (regardless of what they claim). So be very careful.

Robyn

PS The GHL seems to very popular.
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Catalog Guy

Indeed they are

full of it that is. About 20 is the max rwhp increase you will get out of a Boxster S with any combination of mods short of an engine transplant or a 'charger.
Old March 29th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #6
kirkg

Re: I know a few of our 996 friends have put on the FabSpeed...

do you know anyone that has put the kit on a boxster s?
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #7
kirkg

Re: Indeed they are

thanks
anyone know how to remove the roll bar i am having it painted silver.
is there anyone that sells the rear speaker kit?
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #8
Paul in CA

Torque loss is the issue

To be 100% safe, Porsche Sport Exhaust is the way to go. Having said that, people who have Fabspeed or Gemballa in their 996s tend to swear by them.

I had Gemballa in my 996 coupe and I loved the sound. There is a slight torque loss in the first couple thousand miles but it went away. I don't know whether I adapted the driving style to it, or the ECU adapted.

I just bought Porsche Sport Exhaust for my cab. I think it's the safe way to go. Porsche doesn't claim HP increase but at least there are no loss. According to some, Porsche Driver Experience (PDE's) cars have PSE installed and the instructors there claim there are definite HP improvement which Porsche doesn't advertise for whatever reasons.
Old March 31st, 2003, 02:29 PM   #9
Charlie in Portland

Re: Indeed they are

I think I just saw the rear speaker kit in the latest Tweeks catalog.
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Chatter Box

It's the same thing.

Power is the rate at which torque is applied to the driveshaft. Because power is a function of torque, it doesn't make any difference which one you talk about.

Power is just engine torque multiplied by gearing advantage. Since a muffler isn't going to change the gearing, then if you lose or gain power, you do so because you lose or gain engine torque.

The only time you should think about distinguishing between torque and power curves, would be in the case of comparing different engines and/or different transmissions. eg, two cars might make the same peak power but due to different engine torque characteristics, one would need fewer rpms to do it.

Porsche Babblers > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Forum > Boxster / Cayman